Sudsy

Fishing reports for December 2021

Rate this topic

697 posts in this topic

Lot of hours out back tonight and had to fight for 4 schoolies. Lots of bait just not many fish. Hit out front too but found no white water or fish. First time this season It felt like a grind. I may be done on night shift until spring. 

Got out early to an inside spot MOCO this morning, first inside skunking since late October.  Moved out front and got into a few fish that were in tight. I was a little late to the party as I heard from some there that the bite was hot earlier.  Managed to catch 4 between 24 and 27 inches.   All  on  SP..  fish were on the move.

1 hour ago, dgul said:

OC this morning.  Closing down the house for the season so I popped out front just after sunrise.  Flat and clear conditions.  Walked over the dune to birds working a half mile to my south but not really within casting distance.  Made my way down there and followed them back north past where I started.  Could not reach the action initially with anything that the bass wanted.  Finally they came in close enough for me to grab a couple on a Rapala twitchin minnow.  They pushed midsized bunker right to the beach.  First one was small but I took a pic anyway as I thought it might be the final of 2021 but I did get a slot sized fish on my next cast.  The bite died suddenly right after that and that was it.  Cleaned up my gear, closed the house and headed north.  Have a Happy New Year everyone.

B970154E-1120-415E-AEDA-2D1F62BCD119.jpeg

B57808B8-1F83-4C78-8917-DD0E2396C1E4.jpeg

Nice way to end the season.

OC out front this afternoon start of outgoing towards bottom.  Different spot for me but a popular one.  Almost nobody around. Light breeze, small waves, mostly flat.  Fished 2:30 - 5:30 pm.  No bites.  I'm off this week so I'll keep trying.  

On 12/26/2021 at 3:20 PM, hurricane1091 said:

Made me a speckled trout chowdah. Was pretty good would of liked it thicker. Anyone ever do this with stripah

PXL_20211226_194919217.jpg

We do this with tog, too. Tog is a nice firm fish and works well with the chowder. I'll go clamming, we'll do a clam chowder, then just add some tog chunks. 

To add a fishing report, the never ending bass run continues. Hit em good on the way in from togging today in the northern parts out front. They're on bunker/herring. Tons of gannets marking the spot. Nothing huge, but plenty of keepers still in the mix. It's December 27, my creek's not yet frozen, boat's still in the water, and the fish are chewing. I love global warming. :heart:

IMG_9021.jpg

8 hours ago, Eric_S said:

We do this with tog, too. Tog is a nice firm fish and works well with the chowder. I'll go clamming, we'll do a clam chowder, then just add some tog chunks. 

To add a fishing report, the never ending bass run continues. Hit em good on the way in from togging today in the northern parts out front. They're on bunker/herring. Tons of gannets marking the spot. Nothing huge, but plenty of keepers still in the mix. It's December 27, my creek's not yet frozen, boat's still in the water, and the fish are chewing. I love global warming. :heart:

IMG_9021.jpg

It is indeed crazy but the internet tells me the ocean temperature has been on par for what is normal for weeks. Nothing is ever frozen here until January and it snowed yesterday, so it seems like everything is basically 'on par' and yet the results are way up for everyone. The easiest answer is because there is way more bait in close this year but is that because of the temperatures not dropping quickly this year earlier in the season? I don't know, I just like to spit ball.

10 hours ago, Eric_S said:

IMG_9021.jpg

love teh swimming gannet in the screenshot. awesome. 

On 12/26/2021 at 8:37 PM, TinyTrout said:

I always do just to not waste the carcass after filleting it. It’s not the best fish for it but it is edible. 

Since I fillet the fish, I use the fillets for a pan sear + garlic/lemon/dill pan sauce.

I then cook a stock with the whole carcass and then strain it, pick the meat off of the carcass, and then make a chowder and use the picked meat for it. Texture wise, it is not my favorite fish for a chowder but it is a great way to not waste the carcass and get an extra meal from it.

It is a great fish smoked too. It’s not too fatty but it takes salt and smoke on well. My favorite way to prepare it is to smoke it and make a cream cheese/dill/lemon dip. At Bad Martha’s in Martha’s Vineyard, there was a smoked bluefish dip that was phenomenal. I have yet to take a blue home to smoke and make it but think I will try to this upcoming year. 

221CF569-8F64-4A03-A452-C907EFBC51EA.jpeg

2390C54C-C9E5-4E84-BAA0-7C9FA49F6AE1.jpeg

You have to smoke a blue. Once you do, you will always bring them home

On 12/26/2021 at 4:18 PM, Niffty said:

Recently did it with tog and it was phenomenal. Mine came out thin and I thickened it with a slurry. (Mix of flour and water) It allows you to add flour without creating clumps.  

Pro Tip: Get Wondra flour. It's milled super fine. You can add it directly to thin stuff. If added to already thick, it might still clump if you add it too fast. Or mix with butter first. Either way it just works better for thickening 

Edited by Mike

18 mins ago, Mike said:

You have to smoke a blue. Once you do, you will always bring them home

I just did and I while heartedly agree with this statement. 

16 mins ago, Mike said:

Pro Tip: Get Wondra flour. It's milled super fine. You can add it directly to thin stuff. If added to already thick, it might still clump if you add it too fast. Or mix with butter first. Either way it just works better for thickening 

Butter I try to avoid. Always been a big fan. I'm 45 now and my cholesterol is starting to ceep up. It's genetic. Never ever watched my diet and never had an exercise regiment. At 45 I'm 120# with a BMI of 19. Something somewhere had to give. :scuba:

34 mins ago, Mike said:

Never tried wondra flour, gonna have to give it a go,  I usually use cornstarch for a thickener.

1 hour ago, Niffty said:

I just did and I while heartedly agree with this statement. 

Butter I try to avoid. Always been a big fan. I'm 45 now and my cholesterol is starting to ceep up. It's genetic. Never ever watched my diet and never had an exercise regiment. At 45 I'm 120# with a BMI of 19. Something somewhere had to give. :scuba:

You can also make a thickener with cold water & flour, or room temperature olive oil & flour.

If you use corn starch, gotta get the soup boiling before you’ll see the full thickened effect. Flour starts to set up faster & lower temperature.