Sudsy

Fishing reports for December 2021

Rate this topic

697 posts in this topic

Broke the skunk today after sunrise OC front.  Dead low, medium NW wind, almost nobody around, not much water to hold fish.  

Casted for about 1/2 an hour, nothing.  Desperate, I put a gulp sand eel I bought about a year ago on the teaser. First cast, bang, about a 22-24 incher.  Pretty healthy fish.  No taps or catches the next 3 hours.

Well my Daiwa BG crapped out so tackle shop is sending it to Daiwa, did see a few stripers poached which always sucks. Probably borrow a replacement reel meanwhile 

Went out back yesterday afternoon in lower OC from 3-5.  Figured I’d fish the sunset. Almost every cast my paddle tail kept hitting bunker that was in the area.  I wish someone would’ve told the fish bait was there, because apparently they didn’t know.  Not even a tap. 

Hit 5 different NoMoCo areas yesterday noon through 7pm, through turn of the tide, holes, cuts & rocks, BTs, tins and eel imitations. Dirty water out to about 1/2 mile. Few areas of bird activity far off. No signs of bait. One bump all day. Few other guys out across the area, witnessed no other caught fish.

5 hours ago, MC55 said:

Was able to get out late afternoon yesterday hitting a spot I haven't been to since early spring.  Managed to find some quick success and was rewarded with a couple of quality fish.  Had the drag singing with one at 29 inches and a second that made it to 36 inches.  Both were on a sand eel imitation that I put together.  As quickly as I picked those two it was over.  So there are still some decent fish to be found out there.  Off to grandparent duty this morning so won't make it back out until tomorrow.

DSCF3764.JPG

DSCF3765.JPG

No fair creating new lures that catch fish! Glad you got a couple of nice bass. You put in the time and it paid off. No freezer burn on the fish, so it's legit!

19 hours ago, Master Debaiter said:

Well my Daiwa BG crapped out so tackle shop is sending it to Daiwa, did see a few stripers poached which always sucks. Probably borrow a replacement reel meanwhile 

Sorry about the BG. I serviced mine at the reel seat. It’s functional again. Those bearings ain’t cheap. Im on my third season. Probably don’t fish as hard as you though. But I’ve dragged in some rays,small shark and striped bass to 39” using a 3000. Kind of want to get a new one, but Stradic are nice too.  Let us know how the service repair goes if you don’t mind and remember. 

fished an hour from 10:30-11:30 somc.Saw  a few gannets,some surface disturbances here and there but no bait. Used avas,small no = and a small needle fish ungotz. At least these girls enjoyed themselves.

20211213_111006_001.jpg

Hey @MC55 ! Very nice fish and new jig!

Would you mind sharing some closeup pics of your new sand eel imitations?? They look one-of a kind, very nice! I’m not much of a rubber jig kinda guy- BUT I’m always inspired by handcrafted creations! 

Newbie here....Spent two hours driving Ocean Ave in MoCo hitting three spots.  Throwing SP Minnows with nothing happening. The surfers were having all the fun. Met a hard core guy who was set up with beach chairs and PBJ sandwiches who was in for the long haul. Said he was from Bergen County and was soaking clams by sun up!   Dirty water, but it was two hours of trying!

3 hours ago, Mightymoore said:

Newbie here....Spent two hours driving Ocean Ave in MoCo hitting three spots.  Throwing SP Minnows with nothing happening. The surfers were having all the fun. Met a hard core guy who was set up with beach chairs and PBJ sandwiches who was in for the long haul. Said he was from Bergen County and was soaking clams by sun up!   Dirty water, but it was two hours of trying!

Maybe slow down your retrieve a bit??

Hey, it's customary for newbies to tell us a joke.

Welcome, it's a cool place :)

6 hours ago, jeffapeikin said:

Sorry about the BG. I serviced mine at the reel seat. It’s functional again. Those bearings ain’t cheap. Im on my third season. Probably don’t fish as hard as you though. But I’ve dragged in some rays,small shark and striped bass to 39” using a 3000. Kind of want to get a new one, but Stradic are nice too.  Let us know how the service repair goes if you don’t mind and remember. 

My 4k froze up late summer, pinion bearing locked up. I was able to get a replacement and packed with grease as per Tackle Advisers video @Master Debaiter