Sudsy

Fishing reports for December 2021

Rate this topic

697 posts in this topic

December already, where did this year go ? Hopefully it will end with a bang and another push of fish down the beach !

Happy Holidays everyone !

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

A specific spot is too much information!
It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are..........
Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in separate threads.

As a collective group I hope we can all fish for a greater cause this fall. It is known that the stock is in trouble, but still salvageable. Please release your fish properly, and keep a modest amount for the dinner table if you so choose.

Fly fishermen still catching in MoCo in close....stop looking 100yds out and for birds. preacher had a bunch searching the close in cuts and holes. Tight lines to all (except to the googans that show).

On the beach, MoCo, at 6 am. Nada. Flat ocean with occasional undulating surf.  Outgoing tide. Beautiful sunrise. Took a chance and snuck across the border into that other county. Surf was a little more dynamic and I picked one fat shorty on the teaser. Saw a couple of other fish come out of the water, but that was the only hookup.  No visible bait and no birds working. Only a couple of other guys out and no bent rods. Finished up at 8:30 and took some back roads to avoid border checkpoints. 

3 hours ago, saltyh2ofly said:

Fly fishermen still catching in MoCo in close....stop looking 100yds out and for birds. preacher had a bunch searching the close in cuts and holes. Tight lines to all (except to the googans that show).

Did that yesterday, caught a bunk of dinks in the wash. Nothing of size though :(

I drove 25 miles of the coast today.  Dead Sea. 
Never listen to the weather idiots/apps. It was supposed to be blowing 25 mph from the northwest all day. So I skipped out on a blackfish trip.  Ocean was like a lake and it was maybe blowing 5 mph. :banghd:

I was hoping to head out in the coming days now that repairs in the house are done. Then I wake with a sore left big toe. Yep, its gout and its back. 

41 mins ago, blind squirl said:

Anyone see any sea herring yet? Or sandeels for that matter? Might be a tough December 

Been since mid November but I was 90% certain that a big gull flying 20’ over my head had a sand eel in its mouth. 

It fit all the sand eel characteristics and was definitely not a peanut, rainbait or spearing. 

Looked like the big gull lazily collected it out of a cloud of bait that did not behave like a cloud of peanuts - which were there also but a few hundred yards off the beach being thrashed by birds & bass. 

That was almost all the way to the north end of SH. I could be wrong because I really would’ve expected to hear more news of this possibility by now. 

49 mins ago, blind squirl said:

Anyone see any sea herring yet? Or sandeels for that matter? Might be a tough December 

On Sunday I saw some loons diving and coming up with what I'm pretty sure were sandeels hanging out of their beaks.  Out front, Moco.