Joltin

Kayak Fishing Partner(s) wanted for East End South Fork LI

21 posts in this topic

Hi all -- I just bought a kayak (Jackson Big Tuna) to use on South Fork East End LI in/near Amagansett where my beach house is. Til now primarily a surf caster, excited to get off the beach to go to the fish (hopefully). Looking to meet up with like-minded people who kayak fish in and around Montauk/Amagansett/East Hampton, etc. I tend to fish Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings when the kids are still asleep - LOL! 

Hoping to learn from others with more experience and knowledge kayak fishing in the ocean. If you're fishing out this way feel free to drop me a line and let me know if it's okay to join in/tag along. 

Thanks and tight lines,

Joltin

Sounds good to me, thanks Bruce!!

You launch in the ocean in Bridgehampton or elsewhere?

you have a Hobie pedal drive?

I’ve seen a few Mirage drive mods others have done to the Big Tuna ( on YouTube), planning to do the same.

You still out fishing in December?

8 hours ago, Joltin said:

Sounds good to me, thanks Bruce!!

You launch in the ocean in Bridgehampton or elsewhere?

you have a Hobie pedal drive?

I’ve seen a few Mirage drive mods others have done to the Big Tuna ( on YouTube), planning to do the same.

You still out fishing in December?

I have an old wilderness... two in fact.nNo peddles although I am toying with getting one.As well as a trolling mo and fishfinder.  I'm a surfer and  ocean rescue swimmer for the Village and like the hard workout of paddling.. Thats said I would love to fish blackfish and a whole lot more. As I have gotten older, a lot older,   my knees are shot.  I can't run anymore so I'm thinking the peddle power might be just the PT I need. :)

By you  I  have fished out of lazy point off Gardners ( got blues, schoolies and porgies)  a few times. I  mostly fish the ocean here and fluke in Shinnicock bay...as well  as sag harb area in spring.

SUP fishing in spring a little as well a little. I am not the guy with all the fish finder and new tech. I figure when I'm 80... But for now I'm a man with many interests. You might need to find a guy for who Kayaking is his only focus- his thing.   

I mostly fish the surf  from the beach.  Sometimes three times a day.  Kayak on the ocean- when the swell and wind are down- I pick my days- and the stars have to align. Then I drift and jig  when I think it is worth the effort in the fall. This fall it  never  seemed to worked out. I fish a friends boat and drove the beach. But I did well off the yak in the spring.

I'm on the beach fishing up till the end of the season but fishing has been so bad I don't think I will take the kayak out..Maybe.I have to lifeguard the polar bear plunge so I might fish afterwards if there is no surf.

I'm in my wetsuit anyway so what the heck

Are you ocean rescue in East Hampton or Bridgehampton? Which Polar Bear Plunge, I believe there's one in E. Hampton and one in South Hampton? Is it Jan 1? maybe I'll try that, never have. wetsuits welcome or gotta be bare?

I've yet to fish off this kayak. I need to get a better top with this weather/water temp -- I've got dry bibs but only wetsuit tops/jackets.

I love to surf fish but am excited about getting off the beach. Plan to crawl/walk/run. I'm 58 and knock on wood knees are good. I'm also into cycling so that makes me think pedal drive will be good, I agree with you it should be good PT for your knees -- just have to look at push vs. rotary to figure which is better for your knees. 

Southampton plunge.. I think  Dec 10th....and still in  season fo bass...they all seem to go no wetsuit. 

Southampton Village Ocean Rescue. 

Tops: I don't have a $$$$ one. I never wear a wetsuit kayaking till it gets real  real cold out -water temps 50 and  lower, and I'm going in the ocean...(waves) I want to know if I do fall in I'm not gonna freeze, suffer and die.  I'm 65

There are a bunch of tops out there but I'm too cheap. I WANT ONE, just would rather spend money on something else at the moment. Also I'm not sure I really need one. I love the Healy Hansen tops that have  rubber arms . Commercial fishing gear.  My arms get wet alot...Not Kayaker cool but wtf.

As for surf fishing: One luxury of living near the beach, having your truck on the beach or nearby, is the fact you can get dry and warm pretty easily.  I have been known to put a slicker on under my waders sometimes. Rain ,cold  big surf - that keeps  the splash factor down.  Most fish are in close. I tend to wade to deep but no issue yet.  MTK rock hopping is a dif story.

Just got back to the city from Amagansett, fished the beach this morning for about 1.5 hours with no luck. Hoping we'll be back out this weekend, however following weekend we'll be heading out for about 2 weeks, so excited about that!

Not sure which way to go regarding dry tops vs. semi dry, which seems to come down to latex vs. neoprene gaskets, latex being better at keeping water out but apparently not as comfortable as neoprene. So this morning I took a few mini spills while in the water waist deep, and my arms did get wet because I was wearing a wet suit jacket over dry bibs. I have my eye on a few Guy Cotten "dry tops" that are about $250, as opposed to kayak drytops that are close to double that and I'm not wanting to go there, hope to see some of them in person before making decision.  

Re: plunge, brave souls going bare but I guess when everyone's together and the testosterone starts buzzing it's all good. 

wetsuits allow water in and turn it to a warm temp... I'm not sure I  understood? but the wetsuit goes under everything.   A  jacket could go over the wetsuit I guess but not the other way around.

Edited by brucelieb
double post

For non-swimming, cold weather yak use there will be no insulating water layer. What you wear under a WS becomes important for comfort and warmth. 
  Splash gear over the WS in wet/snotty conditions helps keep the chill out.

11 hours ago, Joltin said:

Just got back to the city from Amagansett, fished the beach this morning for about 1.5 hours with no luck. Hoping we'll be back out this weekend, however following weekend we'll be heading out for about 2 weeks, so excited about that!

Not sure which way to go regarding dry tops vs. semi dry,

I fish east end waters often enough…This is the 11th hour, ocean water temps in the low 50’s …  in a 1-1/2 – 2 weeks it should be in the mid 40’s, that’s pretty much cut off temp for migrators, don’t expect a big push of fish onto the beach unless a herring bite materializes real soon.

If you’re looking for the bigger ones, there’s still some around but it’s mostly hit or miss this time of yr & it’s mostly micro bass right at the beach lip & even that is winding down real fast, you should  bring along your 7’ spinning rod & hit a few just to have some fun….

You said you were working the beach… just wear a pair of waders & a rain jacket as a splash top if needed for the remainder of the time… you got all winter to sort out what gear you want.

For me, this time of year I’m driving the beaches hitting all the little points & fishing the troths & behind the whitewater coming over the bars, my trucks 15’ away from me, no splash tops, etc., just a pair of waders & maybe a breathable rain jacket over the top w/ a belt over that…sometimes your rewarded with slot fish & occasionally some larger…that’s if they come in

Go get em before its too late..

On 12/6/2021 at 11:43 AM, cheech said:

For non-swimming, cold weather yak use there will be no insulating water layer. What you wear under a WS becomes important for comfort and warmth. 
  Splash gear over the WS in wet/snotty conditions helps keep the chill out.

Really good point , sorry for my  "off the cuff " replies.  As for wetsuits....I do find my body heat and the sweat does the job most times- If I stay DRY! If I get wet, eventually the cold seeps. Unless I am working real hard paddling. It is not perfect and if I'm wet the cold seeps in eventually. So I go home. BUT I do  put  something on top for those the really cold windy days. You will figure it out.     For me the wetsuit is just for safety when it is real cold. That is just me. If I fall in  I feel safe. On the subjects of wetsuits keeping you warm... If you go that route  I'll tell you which to get.  

After surfing (even in the dead of winter) once I'm in the parking lot  I am colder In the wet wetsuit than standing practically  naked in the wind.   But I don't want to risk my life, so this time of year when I use my Kayak I put it on... and I don't think I need super $$$ kayak gear..So I do the wetsuit.  Frankly there are days I toy with buying a jacket..

My question is - Have you been out yet? Fished the beach yet? 

As for gear- It is like photography in some way, (old school at least) you put your money in the glass- a few lens and a good camera body. All the other gear is sort of incidental... You will figure it out. Figuring it out might be part of the fun.  I'm always trying to figure it out. The hobbyist dentist ( nothing against any of those folks) was the guy with the fancy stuff, the camera case and all the bells and whistles. The local sharpy Bubbie farmer on the beach here might not fit that model.

You got a good yak, you got a good rod and reel, lures?..Ask away.. dress warm, be safe, have fun and fish... You can always gear up more.  As I said,  Blitz summed up the beach.  I have not checked the water temp of late but I'm going now for a few casts. Better  late than never.  

On 12/6/2021 at 0:57 PM, BillZ said:

I fish east end waters often enough…This is the 11th hour, ocean water temps in the low 50’s …  in a 1-1/2 – 2 weeks it should be in the mid 40’s, that’s pretty much cut off temp for migrators, don’t expect a big push of fish onto the beach unless a herring bite materializes real soon.

If you’re looking for the bigger ones, there’s still some around but it’s mostly hit or miss this time of yr & it’s mostly micro bass right at the beach lip & even that is winding down real fast, you should  bring along your 7’ spinning rod & hit a few just to have some fun….

You said you were working the beach… just wear a pair of waders & a rain jacket as a splash top if needed for the remainder of the time… you got all winter to sort out what gear you want.

For me, this time of year I’m driving the beaches hitting all the little points & fishing the troths & behind the whitewater coming over the bars, my trucks 15’ away from me, no splash tops, etc., just a pair of waders & maybe a breathable rain jacket over the top w/ a belt over that…sometimes your rewarded with slot fish & occasionally some larger…that’s if they come in

Go get em before its too late..

Perfect