Mintage

Vintage Fenwick 333 Fly Rod

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Fenwick 333

9'            5oz

Jim Green Autograph

Can anyone tell me more about this rod?  I called up Fenwick directly but they have no record of it.  I'm guessing its a 1955-1962 model because the logo does not have the Fenwick eagle.  

Screenshot_20211129-192939_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Mintage

If included in the writing on the blank is the location Kent, Washington, then it was made by the original owners whose business was in a vacant garage near Lake Fenwick. The original business was started in 1952, and was bought by the Clock Family in the 1960's.  My catalogue is from the late 1970's when they were making blanks with Fenglass fiberglass (very similar to Lamiglass S-Glass and Browing SilaFlex) and had just started making 2 piece Surf Rods and Blanks with graphite, which I think was called Ferralite, but I would have to dig up my catalogue to confirm it.

Nice find. I don't know much about the early fenwicks other than that is a rare model. You might find some history on the fiberglass flyrodders website.

I had no idea they named the company after Lake Fenwick!  That's a fun bit of history.  I don't see any serial number, so I assume its from a later set.  There are some 320s and 340s etc. rods online that have sold for about 100-200 bucks, but I'm hoping that this 333 being a "Jim Green Autograph" model has some special value.  Jim Green was a pretty cool dude who helped out the company, he even set the 1947 world record for distance casting.  I'll keep looking around, but the rod's probably going to find a nice cozy nook in my garage for the next 50 years.