Self-maintenance or paid maintenance?

Rate this topic

I just cracked open a new Spheros SWA. I had the schematic open on my computer and read ahead on it as I took stuff apart. I encountered resistance in sideplate screws and avoided stripping the screws--found a flathead screwdriver. Lots of locktite on a couple of those screws. 

Inspected the inside and put back together. 

Then I opened my older 2014 Spheros SW and because it was knocking at the top and bottom of the main shaft travel added grease to the block at the bottom of the main shaft--can't remember its name right nowmaybe oscillating block--that turns the oscillating gear. Fixed that knock no problem. 

So it can be really nice to develop the skill. Might be good to have someone show you the ropes... 

2 hours ago, TopStriperAngler said:

I would say that a carpet can be helpful because it can slow stuff down. I actually worked on a persian type rug this year and was able to find everything. Whereas the white tile bathroom I had previously worked on I'm still finding parts from earlier attempts at self maintenance LOL. 

I could see that Persian rug thing, but if it’s shag carpet….

8A4A01C7-D334-4C75-841E-878E3503ED4B.jpeg

I was working on a reel in my basement some months back. I was compressing a spring into place and thought that it was set but it went flying, that is the last time I saw that spring. Some years ago, I dropped a small reel part on a carpet and could not find it. I got my small vacuum out and put a new clean bag in it. After vacuuming the carpet I opened up the bag, did a little sifting and found the part.

I did gunsmithing in Alaska for nearly 20 years .

Back in the late ‘80’s,the VA extended my GI bill,and,just for fun,I went to a gunsmith school in Denver during my winter months when I wasn’t guiding.

Long story short,at the school,when a spring flew out,we would yell out,”assume the gunsmiths position “.

Everyone on their knees,looking for a tiny part,lol.

Same with reels…

You get good at it after awhile.:howdy:

I assumed the position a few times last night. Came up with a new way to lose a part, too. I decided that dunking my stradic body and sideplate in water had some benefits so why not try a longer soak? Unfortunately left a little tiny plastic spacer that the worm gear goes into in the reel and ended up washing it down the drain. Took me a good half hour to figure out why the reel gears were skipping. I'm what you might call a non-mechanical genius.  

9 mins ago, olvart said:

Schematics are your friend,lol.

I know the part you are referring to.

Be patient and the force will be with you….

Olvart literally what went through my mind as I disassembled was this, "Hmm, I should be following my own advice here and refer to the schematic as I go but you know what I know this thing. I got this!" 

Famous last words:)  

And then after after putting it back together I was saying "I don't remember the worm gear having all this play..." 

Finally referred to the schematic and realized my folly. 

Edited by TopStriperAngler

There are lots of good youtube videos out there for individual reels. I have yet to find, although I haven't looked too hard, a really good tutorial on the general practice of reel maintenance. 

You get little nuggets from the reel-specific videos like how to remove a certain part or how to protect against losing this particular spring...and I guess those add up over time.

It would be nice to see something very compressed but general covering a lot of this stuff for each part of the reel, perhaps using several kinds of reels. So there could be a section on tools, section on antireverses, and so on.