gellfex

Rod recommendations for inside fishing Ft Myers area?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I'm going to be kayak fishing Pine Island in 2 weeks with my son, and looking to add a few inexpensive multipiece rods. Last year I got a Tsunami Classic 3pc,  Line Weight (lbs): 6lb - 17lb Lure Weight (oz): 1/8oz - 1/2oz. I was torn whether to get it or the heavier version that's 15lb - 25lb, 3/4oz - 2oz. I use the same rod in 1 pc 10lb - 20lb for fluke and blackfish up here. I didn't connect to any fish larger than 20" or so, so I don't know if I was wrong! I need another 2 or 3 pc for my son to target the snook, reds and trout by casting plugs or drifting shrimp. Suggestions?

We're also going to target the small mangrove snappers to put something on the table if we can't connect with some trout. I don't want to go too light and keep losing them or gear in the tree roots. I was thinking of these inexpensive Squadron III Penns, 8-15lb and 1/8 to 3/4. I really like the 6-12lb one piece Squadron II I use here for porgies, but they don't make it in 2 pc. Any other ideas?

All general suggestions for kayak fishing that area also welcome, the guide I booked is in doubt due to health reasons, so we may be bumbling around on our own again.

Most popular are the lighter 1/4-3/4oz setups or similar. Those pair well with a 1-4oz or heavier rated rod for catching bigger fish. Everything pulls and mostly everything will try to cut you off except jacks so the power is important. If you were fine before you'll be fine now unless you stick something over 30. 

2 mins ago, RedGreen said:

Most popular are the lighter 1/4-3/4oz setups or similar. Those pair well with a 1-4oz or heavier rated rod for catching bigger fish. Everything pulls and mostly everything will try to cut you off except jacks so the power is important. If you were fine before you'll be fine now unless you stick something over 30. 

Thanks. I ordered a couple of inexpensive rods, a Squadron III and an ugly GX2. The Squadron is 10-17 but seems remarkable stiff to me, stiffer than the 10-20 1 pc Classic. The GX2 medium has a slower tip, but the usual strong Ugly backbone. I may end up at the Bass Pro down there to get the next lighter Squadron too. I just can't justify getting expensive 2 pc rods for possible one a year travel fishing when I have plenty of 1 pc rods I like for fishing at home.

I would go for a sensitive tip with parabolic top 3rd.  You want the power in the lower 3/4. To lean into bigger fish and move anything out of the mangroves or pilings etc.  The sensitivity is key for feeling bites and working lighter smaller offerings.  I fish 1/2 -1 or 3/4 -1.5 or 2 rods and land large snook and medium  tarpon around bridges My brother fishes uglies from his kayak all around pine island and Matlacha.  30in fish are a struggle!  IMO I drop way more fish fishing stiffer rods.