bassmaster

Cape Cod

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

On 12/1/2021 at 8:28 PM, Tfole said:

This sounds like tales from adventures in another world. So is this or was this a winter fishery? 

The inshore cod fishery, esp in the canal, ran from late Sept right through May.  Sometimes the fishing conditions, esp at night could be grueling. Cold, bitter wind, ice, snow.  I can recall bringing cod home that were frozen stiff, only to have them come back to life in the kitchen sink at home.

I think it was 1975.  A group of us from Mo Beach decided to make a beach cod run.  We had a moon tide, so the day before we went to Sandy Neck to dig seas clams.  Some to eat, some for bait.

There were 7 of us going the next night. I made a huge kettle of clam chowder to take with us on the beach.

The next night found us on the beach, between Scorton Creek and Sandy Neck. High incoming tide. Perfect tide. Set out the Coleman lanterns. Then we each spiked two rods, and waited for the cod to arrive. They always arrived.

I dropped the tailgate, and fired up my Coleman stove and began heating the chowder.  It wasn't long before one of the guys beached a nice cod, about 7lbs. I filleted and skinned it. Cut it into pieces and added it to the chowder. Added a stick of butter and allowed it to simmer.

Right on cue the cod showed. All the rods were going off. Beautiful market cod.  Actually breaking in the surf.  Incredible night.  11pm, starlite Feb night. We were all alone on a deserted Cape Cod beach, eating cups of hot buttered fresh chowder, drinking cold beer, and catching cod till we ran out of bait.   Those nights are stored in my memory bank forever. :heart:

I would imagine there are still some to be caught. obviously nothing like the old days but someone willing to put in time and effort may be able to find 1 or 2. but for what to let them go? maybe if the state had a 1 fish limit for them in state waters it would give people an incentive to try.

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

AS is posted above , most winter cod fishing being less then stellar over the past number of years it would help perhaps if the actual number you could keep is more than one fish . That might encourage a few hardy fishermen to give it go . For sure they will also need to learn how to keep warm and change the oil in the reel so it does not freeze up as well I have found that these modern reels can not hold up to real cold wind chill weather conditions and become very hard to reel when the conditions get below zero. I had one of my mackerel reels recently replace the lubricant inside and replace it with a low temperature lubricant so that I could turn the handle. That is another reason why fishing during the hard winter months can be difficult. back in those times I did all of my own reels and winterized all moving parts so that the bails , springs, bearings kept on turning and never freeze up. It also meant the reels had to be taken apart more frequently if you spent more than a few hours on the beach or pier fishing. The hard winter months generally consisted of starting right before dark , fishing all night until right after day break before calling it a day. If the fishing was good, that time frame would be extended. We generally would use 10 dozen or a flat of worms for each person fishing and when it got real cold you had to keep them inside you shirt pocket and also had to have them in a insulated box  that was good for below freezing . When the bite was on it made no difference if the worms were dead or alive , just so that you get them on the hook you caught them . Peace and Prayers   

20 hours ago, bob_G said:

The inshore cod fishery, esp in the canal, ran from late Sept right through May.  Sometimes the fishing conditions, esp at night could be grueling. Cold, bitter wind, ice, snow.  I can recall bringing cod home that were frozen stiff, only to have them come back to life in the kitchen sink at home.

I think it was 1975.  A group of us from Mo Beach decided to make a beach cod run.  We had a moon tide, so the day before we went to Sandy Neck to dig seas clams.  Some to eat, some for bait.

There were 7 of us going the next night. I made a huge kettle of clam chowder to take with us on the beach.

The next night found us on the beach, between Scorton Creek and Sandy Neck. High incoming tide. Perfect tide. Set out the Coleman lanterns. Then we each spiked two rods, and waited for the cod to arrive. They always arrived.

I dropped the tailgate, and fired up my Coleman stove and began heating the chowder.  It wasn't long before one of the guys beached a nice cod, about 7lbs. I filleted and skinned it. Cut it into pieces and added it to the chowder. Added a stick of butter and allowed it to simmer.

Right on cue the cod showed. All the rods were going off. Beautiful market cod.  Actually breaking in the surf.  Incredible night.  11pm, starlite Feb night. We were all alone on a deserted Cape Cod beach, eating cups of hot buttered fresh chowder, drinking cold beer, and catching cod till we ran out of bait.   Those nights are stored in my memory bank forever. :heart:

Thanks Bob!  I think your account succeeded with all my senses ! Sounds like heaven….A cold heaven mind you but one nonetheless.

45 mins ago, bassmaster said:

So do u tools want to freeze yaass off in January zt the east end

I'll meet you there tonight. We'll fish all night. Our usual place. ;)

On 12/3/2021 at 10:19 AM, bob_G said:

:clap: that's awesome!

The complete and utter shame of all this is cod were coming back, they were starting to be found close to shore again I caught a few in duxbury in the spring of 2015? Where you could throw a rock to shore and a buddy got one in his lobster trap off rocky nook in Kingston, then one winter of intense dragging under catch shares and lubchenko   and they were all gone 

21 hours ago, Two Rock said:

The complete and utter shame of all this is cod were coming back, they were starting to be found close to shore again I caught a few in duxbury in the spring of 2015? Where you could throw a rock to shore and a buddy got one in his lobster trap off rocky nook in Kingston, then one winter of intense dragging under catch shares and lubchenko   and they were all gone 

I’m gonna try for em in dux bay this winter, just to satiate my curiosity..

11 hours ago, mcnar said:

I’m gonna try for em in dux bay this winter, just to satiate my curiosity..

try out front... off the beach in the rocky spot.. don't bother with the bay.