bassmaster

Cape Cod

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

I was catching cod in RI this fall in 20fow within range of an adventurous shore fisherman. I got 2 in 20fow and a few in 50fow. I could see a possibility of getting a cod from shore down there for a fisherman willing to put in a lot of time and effort. again least you will be able to keep it too 

In the early 2000s, I caught two (sad I know) cod in Mass from shore. The canal was one of those locations. Funny enough I caught it mackerel fishing in November rather than the dozens of times I tried with bait on the bottom in winter. The other were on bait. None were more than 3 pounds.

Every winter I am tempted to try and I think back to the times I froze for not even a tap.  That being said, I may try any way. Every now and then I still get a small pollock. 

13 hours ago, bob_G said:

Two weeks before turkey dayback in 66..always hit Tone's side[orleans]..2 rods..clams and brandy to keep the chill off...nothing like a fresh cod dinner.

Hard imagine, isn't it?  Going fishing to a deserted beach, at night. All alone, not another soul in sight. Couple rods, some fresh sea clams for bait, and returning home with a half dozen delicious fresh cod.

22 hours ago, mikez2 said:

There were shore caught cod in northern Ma in my lifetime. I'm from a younger generation than most of these guys sharing reminiscence. Still, I can remember as a kid seeing rows of bait fishermen at the mouth of the Merrimack with rope stringers full of cod.

I even caught a few myself there in the late 80s when I first took up striper fishing. 

I know cod are caught close to shore in Maine. I would guess there are some available from shore but very few people try.

I think length limits and closed seasons may be a deterrent. 

I'll have to head on over to the Maine forum to see the results of your query. 

It would be cool to cast a line for cod when I'm up there visiting my parents. We usually do lots of freshwater ice fishing in winter but it's a short walk to the salt.

Mike in another time we often fished the Merrimack on both sides of the river at the mouth during the hard winter months. One needed to be careful on how close they got to the edges as some time you could lose your footing and go for a swim . The primary bait was sea worms or tape worms . Sea clams and soft clams also at times would produce when we could not get the worms from the diggers or we had to much ice on local worm beds . WE even fished for them up at the Island in the river we all called the cow pastures along with bass in the early spring months after freeze out. Peace and Prayers

16 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Mike in another time we often fished the Merrimack on both sides of the river at the mouth during the hard winter months. One needed to be careful on how close they got to the edges as some time you could lose your footing and go for a swim . The primary bait was sea worms or tape worms . Sea clams and soft clams also at times would produce when we could not get the worms from the diggers or we had to much ice on local worm beds . WE even fished for them up at the Island in the river we all called the cow pastures along with bass in the early spring months after freeze out. Peace and Prayers

Yes, Sea worms was what I remember being used there.

One time I fished the river mouth by the old coast guard station and caught cod, pollack, flounder, stripers and eels on worms on the same night.

That was late 80s and marked the beginning of the renewed striper fishery and the end ( more or less) of the shore cod fishery. As I recall, the length limit for cod increased around that time and even though some cod were still around, keepers were rare.

Is the island you're referring to the chain bridge? 

I remember going there in the 80s with a Cambodian friend of mine. Everyone but me was Cambodian or Vietnamese. They had a big crew with lanterns and camp fires. Food cooking and plenty beer. They welcomed me. It was a very enjoyable night.

The target that night was white catfish. We used surf gear and cut herring with 3 Oz sinkers. The catfish were huge. Biggest I ever caught to this day. Many in the 4 lb range.

Not a single striper caught despite the perfect location and bait. Stripers hadn't yet made their big comeback. 

25 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Yes, Sea worms was what I remember being used there.

One time I fished the river mouth by the old coast guard station and caught cod, pollack, flounder, stripers and eels on worms on the same night.

That was late 80s and marked the beginning of the renewed striper fishery and the end ( more or less) of the shore cod fishery. As I recall, the length limit for cod increased around that time and even though some cod were still around, keepers were rare.

Is the island you're referring to the chain bridge? 

I remember going there in the 80s with a Cambodian friend of mine. Everyone but me was Cambodian or Vietnamese. They had a big crew with lanterns and camp fires. Food cooking and plenty beer. They welcomed me. It was a very enjoyable night.

The target that night was white catfish. We used surf gear and cut herring with 3 Oz sinkers. The catfish were huge. Biggest I ever caught to this day. Many in the 4 lb range.

Not a single striper caught despite the perfect location and bait. Stripers hadn't yet made their big comeback. 

I believe you are correct on the chain bridge and from where we fished it was to the left of the old Cow pasture on the New Hampshire side of the Merrimack bridge itself and actually almost under neath the bridge itself as you crossed from the Massachusetts Side. WE fished these waters during the Fifties,Sixties and Seventies from various land locations and the trips as i recall were all well worth the effort as the majority of our fishing was done in the hard winter months and all at night with lanterns. WE also found a few spots to smelt fish at times near Glouster , which we did during the day light hours for the most part. Peace and Prayers

On 12/1/2021 at 8:28 PM, Tfole said:

This sounds like tales from adventures in another world. So is this or was this a winter fishery? 

Yeah over 40 yrs ago and more like 45-50. :eek: i didnt start saltwater for real until mid 80s, and it was all but over by then.