bassmaster

Cape Cod

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Highlander1 said:

In NJ we never had cod on the beach but the party boats used to kill them in the winter, big fish 50+ were common. What we did have were Whiting in the surf, mid December on, all you wanted, ling too. Today, can't buy one in the surf and haven't for many years now. The 70's were the last of the gettin'. Fresh Whiting are delicious, much tastier than Cod, which is a nice thick white fish, but actually kind of on the bland side. 

I forgot about the whiting.  Delicious.  But for some reason we didn't get all that many in ccb?   Tony Stezcko used to get quite a few, and some large  on the outer beaches.

Let's not overlook pollock. Another nice eating winter fish, that disappeared along with cod and winter flounder.

I have never, ever seen a surf-caught cod (on Long Island) and I don't expect to do so.  I wonder, if we went north to Maine, are cod taken from the surf at all?

Boy, that would make for a heck of a winter Fling. Even the steelhead anglers would pity us. 

14 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I have never, ever seen a surf-caught cod (on Long Island) and I don't expect to do so.  I wonder, if we went north to Maine, are cod taken from the surf at all?

Boy, that would make for a heck of a winter Fling. 

You're not kidding!  I'd be on board with it.  

How's about an SOL Surf n Turf Fling?  Winter time cod trip to Maine, followed up with a Texas hog hunt.

Edited by bob_G

39 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Boy, that would make for a heck of a winter Fling. Even the steelhead anglers would pity us. 

There were shore caught cod in northern Ma in my lifetime. I'm from a younger generation than most of these guys sharing reminiscence. Still, I can remember as a kid seeing rows of bait fishermen at the mouth of the Merrimack with rope stringers full of cod.

I even caught a few myself there in the late 80s when I first took up striper fishing. 

I know cod are caught close to shore in Maine. I would guess there are some available from shore but very few people try.

I think length limits and closed seasons may be a deterrent. 

I'll have to head on over to the Maine forum to see the results of your query. 

It would be cool to cast a line for cod when I'm up there visiting my parents. We usually do lots of freshwater ice fishing in winter but it's a short walk to the salt.

I Searched a bit for "shore cod."  Most references are to cod caught X miles from shore. The few references to cod caught by surf anglers are lamentations about how rarely it happens, in these sad, depleted days.

Maybe the Fling has to be to Quebec, or Prince Edward Island? It's getting a bit longer than I'd hoped.

43 mins ago, BrianBM said:

I Searched a bit for "shore cod."  Most references are to cod caught X miles from shore. The few references to cod caught by surf anglers are lamentations about how rarely it happens, in these sad, depleted days.

Maybe the Fling has to be to Quebec, or Prince Edward Island? It's getting a bit longer than I'd hoped.

Maybe time to think outside the box Brian.  Perhaps we can get the History Channel to float a trial balloon of sorts. Piggyback their hit series, The Curse of Oak Island.  We could call it In Search of the Shore Caught Cod.

I see tv crews filming a few dozen SOL members, fishing barren, frozen beaches in mid winter.  Wind howling, all freezing their a**es off. Huddling around bonfires on the beach, smoking weed, drinking beer, reminiscing about the good ol days.

26 mins ago, bob_G said:

I see tv crews filming a few dozen SOL members, fishing barren, frozen beaches in mid winter.  Wind howling, all freezing their a**es off. Huddling around bonfires on the beach, smoking weed, drinking beer, reminiscing about the good ol days.

There was a lot of bravado and machismo back then .........yep, the good ol' days when men were men and sheep were scared.

38 mins ago, Joe G said:

There was a lot of bravado and machismo back then .........yep, the good ol' days when men were men and sheep were scared.

I was going to suggest Cape Clowns.................

3 mins ago, J Powers said:

Great stories. I would guess that you would be in your prime years of your life time to be fishing in those cold winter nights. When antifreeze where still running in your blood stream. :)