bassmaster

Cape Cod

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, bassmaster said:

So where are the cod

I want cod, i dont eat fertilizer,  i meen striped bass..

Bob G  get the worms out......

I think it was Feb 1974.  Seven of us left Mo Beach  an hour before dusk. Destination, the area of beach just north of Scorton Creek.  Our goal, fresh cod.

We quit and left the beach around 1am, ran out of bait.  We easily had at least 250lbs of market size cod.  Amazing nights. We did a bunch of those trips.  Some nights there were so many cod, they were breaking in the surf chasing sand eels.  Imagine, breaking cod!:eek:

9 mins ago, bob_G said:

I think it was Feb 1974.  Seven of us left Mo Beach  an hour before dusk. Destination, the area of beach just north of Scorton Creek.  Our goal, fresh cod.

We quit and left the beach around 1am, ran out of bait.  We easily had at least 250lbs of market size cod.  Amazing nights. We did a bunch of those trips.  Some nights there were so many cod, they were breaking in the surf chasing sand eels.  Imagine, breaking cod!:eek:

I talked about breaking cod at the east end, we was killing it  early 70,s

33 mins ago, bassmaster said:

I talked about breaking cod at the east end, we was killing it  early 70,s

Every cod we cleaned was loaded with sand eels. You couldn't get one more sand eel in their belly.

You guys got a late start catching cod fish from the beach and Canal for sure. Our experience began early 1940;s and that experience took us all over the state where ever a rocky or sand beach could be found . During the heart of the winter months cod could be found in numbers large enough as well as size. 40 to 50 pound cod inside the canal was not an uncommon experience, especially when the herring and silver hake made an entrance. At times they would chase the herring right up into the run along with bass that were also feeding on them. Times from the past , never again to be witnessed in my life time, maybe some of the younger fishermen will one day be greeted by such a site as it will be a memory you will never forget,   In another time I had such events published in the New England  Fishermen and On the Water   Thanks for the memories from the past as it was a time where I was saved to survive Peace and Prayers 

10 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

You guys got a late start catching cod fish from the beach and Canal for sure. Our experience began early 1940;s and that experience took us all over the state where ever a rocky or sand beach could be found . During the heart of the winter months cod could be found in numbers large enough as well as size. 40 to 50 pound cod inside the canal was not an uncommon experience, especially when the herring and silver hake made an entrance. At times they would chase the herring right up into the run along with bass that were also feeding on them. Times from the past , never again to be witnessed in my life time, maybe some of the younger fishermen will one day be greeted by such a site as it will be a memory you will never forget,   In another time I had such events published in the New England  Fishermen and On the Water   Thanks for the memories from the past as it was a time where I was saved to survive Peace and Prayers 

Of course Carl.  Everything bassmaster and I have done pales in comparison to your adventures.   :rolleyes:

7 mins ago, bassmaster said:

Wonder if you put time in through the winter if would get any cod 

Guess my point of the thread is. Woukd be nice to see cod come back.

Dave, back in the day, as you know,  from late Sept on, canal cod were commonplace.  Anyone throwing jigs or skins would catch them, often more cod than bass.

Given the fact that everyone is throwing jigs, sluggish and paddle tails around the clock these days, you'd think someone would catch a cod. But sadly, no one does.  A sturgeon yes, but a golden cod, no.

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

Same thing at Grace Pt, Block Island every early spring,  late 70's/ early 80's....catching them on Red Fins/ jig bodies; birds working, the whole 9 yds...25 feet of water; had to see it to believe it....

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Of course Carl.  Everything bassmaster and I have done pales in comparison to your adventures.   :rolleyes:

If you say so, however had you been around in the early years, perhaps you would be talking about the same adventures from a different perspective.  We have many here from that time frame that participated in the active winter cod fisheries where only the hardy and strongest among us would take on the challenge of snow,ice,wind to catch cod fish .  Peace and Prayers

We all fished in the winter. No big deal

Freezing 

Hull gut was awsome cause we use to huddle in the nomad and watch rods go down eith cod snd pollock

No romance storys just fishin

Dont think cod will run through the ditch like they use to 

Tony Stezcko told me several times while we were catching mostly  market cod in the canal and ccb beaches, he was catching them to 30lbs in his neck of the woods.

Like our ccb fishing, he was all alone.

Tony also told me the night he caught Bertha, he was having problems getting bass because it was tough to get by the cod.

Hard imagine, isn't it?  Going fishing to a deserted beach, at night. All alone, not another soul in sight. Couple rods, some fresh sea clams for bait, and returning home with a half dozen delicious fresh cod.

In NJ we never had cod on the beach but the party boats used to kill them in the winter, big fish 50+ were common. What we did have were Whiting in the surf, mid December on, all you wanted, ling too. Today, can't buy one in the surf and haven't for many years now. The 70's were the last of the gettin'. Fresh Whiting are delicious, much tastier than Cod, which is a nice thick white fish, but actually kind of on the bland side.