brucelieb

SEALS on my spot!

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

hen you see a seal do you leave the spot?   

As if this stuff is not hard enough....now i have new friends.....

A  resident seal  at my spot seems to be there all the time and  has invited buddies. I guess we have similar real-estate  tastes.  

Do you all just give up when you see our furry wet pals?  I swear they followed me. A few days back I  said good bye to them and I guess they love me now. Today I was at a piece of open beac/ structure I love. When the sun came up there he was..and  he just watches me..... when I drove a few hundred yards east, to the end of the bar- bingo he and a pal pop up mocking me....Then I back tracked a few hundred yards to the west of my original position and suckers came there too.  I gave up.... 

F1949826-983E-4866-A34D-6545331EFEA3.jpeg

Edited by brucelieb
got to the point

My best outing late last fall I had a seal swimming back and forth in front of me the whole tide, I'm assuming there was just a ton of bait along the beach and he was feasting.  It actually increased my confidence, I knew he wasn't there for no reason!

Montauk doesn't have seals, it has sea lions!! Those Mofo's are huge!! Most of the time if a seal pop's up the fishing isn't good but I can count on one hand how many times I've caught fish while a seal is present... 

It was a lot worse here on LI in the past.  There was an insane amount on the back side of Cupsogue, and resident ones around the sand bars at OBI.  I used to dread seeing a real fat one at Jones, and if it was around, it was over.  He'd rob you too if you had something.  We had resident seals year round at a bridge I work in Reynold's.  Then Agnes and Sandy killed the bait, and they left - thank heavens!!  I was afraid to see them when the bait came back, but we've been lucky so far.  They were an absolute plague when they were here.  Come to think of it, I've seen a lot less bass with that seal worm parasite last couple of years. 

Not sure what took them down a notch, besides the storms, but I am grateful!!

they have been feasting HARD on the rat bass for the last couple of weeks , a pair of them certainly take a lot of bass out of the equation. Almost got one on a Kastmaster yesterday , missed by inches. Had one following a pencil 3 days ago.

2 hours ago, bassmaster said:

You should move to the cape.

:eek:

Bassmaster- I know the Cape has got it real bad and great whites moved in   as well. SO I should not complain...You must have advise that is constructive? I have respected your posts in the past and I'm sincere about this issue.  I see, that many of you guys see  this is an stupid silly question. I guess somewhere in the back of my head, I have it that seals = no fish. Someone must have planted that seed.and it took..I don't want to go searching for  a new spot... Would you keep fishing or drive on?

3 hours ago, pakalolo said:

they have been feasting HARD on the rat bass for the last couple of weeks , a pair of them certainly take a lot of bass out of the equation. Almost got one on a Kastmaster yesterday , missed by inches. Had one following a pencil 3 days ago.

I think we fish the same town beaches.. What is your call? Stick and fish or move on?

37 mins ago, brucelieb said:

Bassmaster- I know the Cape has got it real bad and great whites moved in   as well. SO I should not complain...You must have advise that is constructive? I have respected your posts in the past and I'm sincere about this issue.  I see, that many of you guys see  this is an stupid silly question. I guess somewhere in the back of my head, I have it that seals = no fish. Someone must have planted that seed.and it took..I don't want to go searching for  a new spot... Would you keep fishing or drive on?

I still fishing but so many big fish places are ruined. 

I got sealed 6 times in one night.

The fishery is not the same  I have had many good nights but not monster fish

Its changed, the fall run sucked,  storms bad wind.

Just try and work around it if you can