GlennP2222

New to site and looking at Kayaks for OBX, NC

16 posts in this topic

Hello all - new to site and looking to get into Kayak fishing in the outer banks. Been surf fishing the past two summers (great flounder fishing this past year) but want to expand into the sound for sure.

Open to anyone in the area with advice or if there are local clubs I'm certainly interested!

Also looking at Kayaks (new and used) and have been reading posts on here about various ones (old town, Hobie, Vibe) but cannot post or ask about them on for sales forums as I don't have enough posts yet!

Thanks in advance for any feedback.  

I recently bought the Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL.

Very happy with it, it is a great boat.  It's my first fishing kayak, so I cannot speak for other brands/models.  Good luck in your search.

22 hours ago, RWP said:

Are you looking for a pedal or paddle rig?

On the fence.  Was considering the vibe shearwater due to it's set up and the fact that I can add in the pedal pod any time. Thought process was buy without, try out paddling and fishing and see how that goes.  

On 12/3/2021 at 7:40 PM, NYFisher said:

I recently bought the Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL.

Very happy with it, it is a great boat.  It's my first fishing kayak, so I cannot speak for other brands/models.  Good luck in your search.

Thanks for the note.  Definitely considering the Old Town

I kayak fish Hatteras Island about 6-8 times a year in a 2014 Hobie Outback. Usually cover about 10 miles per outing. And have a plug in trolling motor for the ride back in. Have had a lot of success fishing for specks and red drum. And love being able to jig and pedal the kayak at the same time. Can cover a lot of ground 

10 hours ago, bstriping said:

I kayak fish Hatteras Island about 6-8 times a year in a 2014 Hobie Outback. Usually cover about 10 miles per outing. And have a plug in trolling motor for the ride back in. Have had a lot of success fishing for specks and red drum. And love being able to jig and pedal the kayak at the same time. Can cover a lot of ground 

Right on.  Sounds awesome...thanks for the feedback!

On 12/5/2021 at 8:47 AM, GlennP2222 said:

On the fence.  Was considering the vibe shearwater due to it's set up and the fact that I can add in the pedal pod any time. Thought process was buy without, try out paddling and fishing and see how that goes.  

If you are planning on covering any decent amount of water, I would get a pedal rig.

If you want to spend $4000+, get a Hobie. If not, check out the Jackson bite fd, old town pdl, or wilderness systems.

For paddle only, I recommend AVOIDING the entire Jackson line as well as the old town line. They are extremely well built and stable, but awful to paddle.

I really enjoy my nucanoe to paddle, but the pedal attachment isn't great.

14 mins ago, RWP said:

If you are planning on covering any decent amount of water, I would get a pedal rig.

If you want to spend $4000+, get a Hobie. If not, check out the Jackson bite fd, old town pdl, or wilderness systems.

For paddle only, I recommend AVOIDING the entire Jackson line as well as the old town line. They are extremely well built and stable, but awful to paddle.

I really enjoy my nucanoe to paddle, but the pedal attachment isn't great.

Thank you.  Having not fished from Kayak in past, I have no idea how much ground I will cover or be willing to cover in an outing, so it's a bit of an unknown for me at the moment.  This is why I mentioned getting something I can paddle in and then add pedal option later but I hear what you are saying on some of those models who offer pedal not being great for paddling.

Not looking to drop 4K on a Hobie at this time :)

If you're going to be spending time outside, then recommend a 13' for tracking, stability, space, speed. Inside you can get away with shorter. The creeks get pretty skinny.

12 mins ago, Poisson Idea said:

If you're going to be spending time outside, then recommend a 13' for tracking, stability, space, speed. Inside you can get away with shorter. The creeks get pretty skinny.

thanks.  Main use will be in soundside of Outerbanks...some lakes.  Probably ocean side on calm days, inside of Oregon inlet.

If plan to fish def get a pedal kayak. When you get enough post check out the kayak buy/sales/trade thread. Usually some good deals there. Including my Hobie Passport 12 :)

4 mins ago, cec127 said:

If plan to fish def get a pedal kayak. When you get enough post check out the kayak buy/sales/trade thread. Usually some good deals there. Including my Hobie Passport 12 :)

Thanks.  i believe I can see those posts but cannot respond yet.  Happy to communicate offline as well

If going to paddle look at the kaku line up wahoo and Zulu they have a high sharp shear line very good launching from surf and taking on waves and chop. Pretty fast for a 33 inch wide yak. I believe you have a dealer in NC. Also power pole ready. Zulu does have peddle drive you can purchase later but is fine to paddle for now

IMG_20211011_131305144_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211011_130813568_HDR.jpg

This is our rig (my son and I). About 50% of the time I use this solo as well.

The seats are on tracks, so I can put them wherever I like. The boat is designed to be a solo boat with optional junior seating, but I opted for 2 real seats. My son and I only weigh about 225 combined.

This boat is fast, really fast, and out of the boats that I have used, nothing compares to paddle.

How far south are you in obx? I am in Virginia Beach and venture down a few times a year.

IMG_20211019_121649135_HDR.jpg