stripefromshore

Stripe from shore on synthetics

17 posts in this topic

Caught 4 last week , 12,10,8  and a 3 . 12 and 10 made a couple good runs and I had to add some drag with fingers and thumb. When I bass fished I never had to replace a drag washer on a reel . I have rebuilt and upgraded drags on 4 spinning reels since I started fishing from shore for stripe. A 20lb stripe in a tailrace with one or two turbines running will test your tackle , specially a felt  drag if you use 10lb braid. I upgraded my drag this week with carbon fiber washers  and lapped  the metal washers flat and smoothed out the drag and made it adjustable again . I am going early tomorrow morning so with an upgraded drag and a fresh lubrication on the reel the fish probably won't bite . I was using half ounce jigs with  white synthetic hair cut from gorilla white shag material with some holographic tinsel  . It's super white , whiter than  bucktail, cheaper , has more action and will tie a jig  at 4" long .  The fish have been  running between 14  and 8lbs on previous trips  and they only feed for about an hour and it's over. You arrive a little late and you get casting practice. This short feeding period is something new and you are pressed to catch a 5 fish limit .  I was wondering if any of you river or tailrace fisherman are experiencing something different in feeding periods.?

Resized_20211117_084610.jpeg  stripe on rocks hlf.jpg

So you found an alternative to the salt.

Fantastic!

Now learn to keep your good fishing fortune to yourself. 

Its not hard to figure out what you do and where.

Your spot will be filled with poachers and their garbage.

And 5 each, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week,  etc.... social media will keep those spots busy.

8 mins ago, poopdeck said:

Who cares about spot burning and poaching when the fox is already in the hen house. Looks like a lot of freezer burn to me. 

Please, not a personal thread about op.

Most impoundment stripers are stocked yearly anyways and suffer heavy mortality rates during the summer months from stress as it is. And trust me no tailraces are a secret to anyone looking to catch a striper and just cause you know they are there doesn't mean you know how to catch them.

I was in Tennessee a couple months ago and there was at least 15 people below this tailrace and about a half dozen boats and the only two people catching fish were me and a local guy in a boat and catch them we did combining for over a dozen fish between us with the onlookers just trying like heck to figure out what they were doing wrong.

1 hour ago, jerseycat9 said:

Most impoundment stripers are stocked yearly anyways and suffer heavy mortality rates during the summer months from stress as it is. And trust me no tailraces are a secret to anyone looking to catch a striper and just cause you know they are there doesn't mean you know how to catch them.

I was in Tennessee a couple months ago and there was at least 15 people below this tailrace and about a half dozen boats and the only two people catching fish were me and a local guy in a boat and catch them we did combining for over a dozen fish between us with the onlookers just trying like heck to figure out what they were doing wrong.

Those onlookers will exponentially grow in numbers.  They may not catch many fish but they'll take your spot.

Its a tough decision to not put on a show when the uneducated are watching a good bite your on.

I still fish bites..... alone. You would think there should be 20 guys here... but no.

26 mins ago, Lateral Line said:

Those onlookers will exponentially grow in numbers.  They may not catch many fish but they'll take your spot.

Its a tough decision to not put on a show when the uneducated are watching a good bite your on.

I still fish bites..... alone. You would think there should be 20 guys here... but no.

This is the dilemma I face when going for walleye this time of year. If you know what you are doing and start catching nice fish while others are watching, you might find the spot covered with guys elbow to elbow the next day.

I only discuss bites and locations with vetted guys (anti-bite burners) in my circles.

I keep a low profile and stay night fishing this time of year.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

4 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

This is the dilemma I face when going for walleye this time of year. If you know what you are doing and start catching nice fish while others are watching, you might find the spot covered with guys elbow to elbow the next day.

I only discuss bites and locations with vetted guys (anti-bite burners) in my circles.

I keep a low profile and stay night fishing this time of year.

I have intentionally not caught if others are too close.  Sometimes this does not work out.  I will cast the "other" way where I usually do not catch.  Did that one time and hooked a slob lmb lol

But if people are around I head the other way until they move on

I qualify as one of the lesser prophets because I didn't get a nibble today . Got on spot at daylight and the temps were around mid 30,s so the fish may have been close to a fire somewhere . Anyway tried out a Lami salmon steelhead rod that I extended the butt and did a 3 guide K series reduction and relocated  a guide for the choke guide. It makes a big difference fishing braid when the rod matches the reel .
It's hard to hide what you are doing when fishing from shore in a tailrace .

Edited by stripefromshore

15 hours ago, Lateral Line said:

Fantastic!

And 5 each, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week,  etc.... social media will keep those spots busy.

It's pretty crowded there at times but if the bite is on I can string some fish. A lot more people fishing today than 10 years ago .

On 11/30/2021 at 7:51 AM, poopdeck said:

Who cares about spot burning and poaching when the fox is already in the hen house. Looks like a lot of freezer burn to me. 

One must learn to flow with the chaos grasshopper

On 12/1/2021 at 0:08 AM, stripefromshore said:

I qualify as one of the lesser prophets because I didn't get a nibble today . Got on spot at daylight and the temps were around mid 30,s so the fish may have been close to a fire somewhere . Anyway tried out a Lami salmon steelhead rod that I extended the butt and did a 3 guide K series reduction and relocated  a guide for the choke guide. It makes a big difference fishing braid when the rod matches the reel .
It's hard to hide what you are doing when fishing from shore in a tailrace .

True. This time of year the weather is nasty enough that no one comes out, especially at night.

On 11/30/2021 at 8:21 AM, Lateral Line said:

Fantastic!

Oh man. I know where he is at. I saw that same cormorant poop on that same rock during that epic bass blitz of in 91. Nicky Nutz went chasing his jig that got snagged in the fog. We never saw him again. 

802B2141-5F1E-457A-AE41-C07B1EBA4DB3.jpeg

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

Oh man. I know where he is at. I saw that same cormorant poop on that same rock during that epic bass blitz of in 91. Nicky Nutz went chasing his jig that got snagged in the fog. We never saw him again. 

802B2141-5F1E-457A-AE41-C07B1EBA4DB3.jpeg

Chunk