DerrickT

Kelly leaving ND?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Yea I had no idea he would leave.

But let's be honest here, recruiting for ND has to be tough with such a small player pool compared to colleges that don't have restrictions.  I really believe that is what is holding ND back from actually winning a NC at this point.  Sure they can make a run at it every year but then they choke in the bowl games.

5 mins ago, DerrickT said:

Yea I had no idea he would leave.

But let's be honest here, recruiting for ND has to be tough with such a small player pool compared to colleges that don't have restrictions.  I really believe that is what is holding ND back from actually winning a NC at this point.  Sure they can make a run at it every year but then they choke in the bowl games.

Their requirements & standards are what keeps em from being a true contender.  He got his name on the wall for wins now time to go. 

I think getting his ass kicked multiple times in the CFP was a deciding factor.

His best ND recruits were not going to beat the best SEC recruits.

LSU has the facilities, money and fertile recruiting area. The last three coaches there won national championships.

Being 60, he probably sees this as his best opportunity to get his before he hangs it up.

It sounds like he is keeping some of the current LSU assistants, which is a smart move on his part in regards to recruiting.

SF

I understand why he left. ND  has academic standards that prevent them from recruiting like OSU  LSU  AL but the timing was a slap in the face with possible playoff game. He also stayed for a 12th year to break rockne's win total in 11 years. Holtz and parseghian left after 11 years. 

Maybe his selfishness is why he has been successful,but he has no legacy at ND now. Maybe his $100 million is more important 

1 hour ago, St.Croix Man said:

I understand why he left. ND  has academic standards that prevent them from recruiting like OSU  LSU  AL but the timing was a slap in the face with possible playoff game. He also stayed for a 12th year to break rockne's win total in 11 years. Holtz and parseghian left after 11 years. 

Maybe his selfishness is why he has been successful,but he has no legacy at ND now. Maybe his $100 million is more important 

Not finishing out the season is pretty ******

"No, no," he had said when asked if he would ever coach another team.

"I mean, I think Mike Tomlin had the best line. Unless that fairy godmother comes by with that $250 million check, my wife would want to take a look at it first. I’d have to run it by her."

Brian Kelly

Seems like the fairy godmother visited.