Darters in Long Island Sound

Rate this topic

jwb22

Normally on the north shore I throw bunker chunks or sand worms, but this year I devoted time throwing lures and I had tons of success with a 6 1/2 inch darter.  I find retrieving it slowly works the best for the lure, but it could be worked fast too.  I normally never threw lures because there’s a lot of rocks where I fish and bait always seemed to work well but this year they loved the mag darter.  Definitely going to get a couple more for next season.  

Edited by fishin

On 12/8/2021 at 9:12 AM, RyanJ_88 said:

That they def can, but I also find that I can use them in shallower just crawling them under the surface while still mainting great action-- I assume due to the larger lip. Pretty sure I heard Jerry Audet mention this in one of his videos and was able to try it out with some success this spring. 

I read on one of his articles that he prefers the north bar bottle darter jr.  He loads the jr.  I used it a ton this fall and the fish really liked it.  I found that it cut the wind better than the regular bottle darter with no loss in its ability to hold in big water.