jwb22

Darters in Long Island Sound

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

8 mins ago, fishinthedark said:

Or the smaller mag Darter as well

Agreed.

The large one never produced for me even when the 5" was taking big fish. Ended up selling them off. 

OP have you tried various size/style darters? Assuming you are starting with an SS, my first move would be to the smaller TA darter which is very successful for me in spring and late fall. It digs pretty deep and the slightly smaller profile can sometimes get the hit when the larger doesn't. Also wood darters in skinny water if you have some cross-current can be deadly. As someone else asked, have you had success on darters elsewhere? I tend to throw darters a lot, even when there is less current than you'd think was necessary with some good results.

18 hours ago, Sudsy said:

FWIW, Mag Darter is not a darter, it's a lipped swimmer with a confusing name

Agreed. 

Curious what "Darter" the OP is using too, as they all have different actions.  I say "action" as opposed to "swim" as in my mind darters don't, and aren't supposed to, "swim."

SS & TA for example are to me classic darters with virtually no swimming action, but rather the ability to change direction (dart) periodically and not in any pattern, but rather based on the force of water impacting it's slanted nose.  Contrast this with LIfishInVT or Tattoo that do have a swimming wiggle built in along with the darting motion.

I'm a fan of the more subtle classic darter.  If I wanted wiggle, I'd clip on a swimming plug designed to do that.  YMMV.

On 11/29/2021 at 3:47 PM, jwb22 said:

I have struggled to find any success throwing Darter's in the northern long island sound / ct coast line.  I have tried fishing them close to inlets / river mouths, where there is a a slight current (among other places) and where I know there are fish, but fail to even get a bump.  Just wondering if anyone has any tips/suggestions and/or if others have experienced the same.

I find great success using darters, current being the main objective and practically the only place that I would use them.

That comes easy because I only fish Rivers so current is always present.

Mag darters I like in the large size have done well for me.

SS darters are what I use when I'm fishing for smaller fish, driving through deep holes and channels edges and whatnot that's when the big wood darters come out,seed420 darters will help you judge a channel edge of all the fish present if you can get it down to where they're at you will catch them.

HH 

IMG_20200619_014041.jpg.b5e757f1fb42a6714b80d1c4b8be1e3a.jpg

IMG_20210611_031058.jpg.835c6b7ea2ecc61d31557e567aea2b27.jpgIMG_20201014_012405.jpg.557cefdb46759a1461a3915481fd54ba.jpg

I have struggled to find any success throwing Darter's in the northern long island sound / ct coast line.  I have tried fishing them close to inlets / river mouths, where there is a a slight current (among other places) and where I know there are fish, but fail to even get a bump.  Just wondering if anyone has any tips/suggestions and/or if others have experienced the same.

I find great success using darters, current being the main objective and practically the only place that I would use them.

SS darters are what I use when I'm fishing for smaller fish, driving through deep holes and channels edges and whatnot that's when the big wood darters come out,seed420 darters will help you judge a channel edge of all the fish present if you can get it down to where they're at you will catch them.

HH 

IMG_20210611_031058.jpg.835c6b7ea2ecc61d31557e567aea2b27.jpgIMG_20201014_012405.jpg.557cefdb46759a1461a3915481fd54ba.jpg

HH 

HH 

SS darters are what I use when I'm fishing for smaller fish, dragging through deep holes and channel edges and whatnot that's when the big wood darters come out,seed420 darters will help you dredge a channel edge of all the fish present if you can get it down to where they're at you will catch them.

HH 

this is the 1st year I did ok on the bigger mag darters.  I usually use SS darters and they are prob. the 2nd plug out of my bag after a Redfin. 

I feel if I use the smaller mag darters I've given up my chance at a big fish.  I know people have caught bigger fish on the mini but people have also caught a 50# on a rancid piece of bunker during the day. 

On 11/30/2021 at 2:48 PM, RyanJ_88 said:

OP have you tried various size/style darters? Assuming you are starting with an SS, my first move would be to the smaller TA darter which is very successful for me in spring and late fall. It digs pretty deep and the slightly smaller profile can sometimes get the hit when the larger doesn't. Also wood darters in skinny water if you have some cross-current can be deadly. As someone else asked, have you had success on darters elsewhere? I tend to throw darters a lot, even when there is less current than you'd think was necessary with some good results.

I will give that a try.  I have been throwing the SS and NorthBar tackle darters. Maybe the smaller profile will work. I have gotten into some decent fish ( ~30lbs) in the areas I am fishing so I wouldn't expect the SS to be oversized.  

8 hours ago, MaxKatt said:

Agreed. 

Curious what "Darter" the OP is using too, as they all have different actions.  I say "action" as opposed to "swim" as in my mind darters don't, and aren't supposed to, "swim."

SS & TA for example are to me classic darters with virtually no swimming action, but rather the ability to change direction (dart) periodically and not in any pattern, but rather based on the force of water impacting it's slanted nose.  Contrast this with LIfishInVT or Tattoo that do have a swimming wiggle built in along with the darting motion.

I'm a fan of the more subtle classic darter.  If I wanted wiggle, I'd clip on a swimming plug designed to do that.  YMMV.

SS and Northbar Tackle. The SS has such a reputation its hard to not give it a try / figure out how to fish it.

14 hours ago, jwb22 said:

I will give that a try.  I have been throwing the SS and NorthBar tackle darters. Maybe the smaller profile will work. I have gotten into some decent fish ( ~30lbs) in the areas I am fishing so I wouldn't expect the SS to be oversized.  

If I remember correctly the northbar is slightly shallower running than the SS, both solid choices and regulars in my bag. Bill's response is an absolutely perfect summation