jwb22

Darters in Long Island Sound

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

I have struggled to find any success throwing Darter's in the northern long island sound / ct coast line.  I have tried fishing them close to inlets / river mouths, where there is a a slight current (among other places) and where I know there are fish, but fail to even get a bump.  Just wondering if anyone has any tips/suggestions and/or if others have experienced the same.

Strongly disagree with that assessment.  Some of my best nights and biggest fish were hung on darters.  Fish them in current and incorporate pauses and twitches. Often time they get slammed on the pause, so hold on.

35 mins ago, SBASS1 said:

CT surfcasting can be boiled down to two baits..  Needlefish lures and eels, I wouldn't waste my time with anything else...

Funny you say that, I would say the exact same thing except swap the needles out for darters. I have had success fishing darters in eastern ct in the same areas where I never get a bump with a needle! I think it comes down to confidence in the lure you're using. 

To the OP, In my experience, darters were quite a steep learning curve, I fished them for months with nothing to show for it. Then one day, something just "clicked" and I was able to start scoring good fish on darters. Now they're the first plug out of my bag and the last one to go back in! Fish them painfully slow with erratic twitches in a nice sweep or anywhere with a hint of current and you will eventually catch fish on them! 

Good read I've not fished darters enough although I have caught fish on them and needles just too many plus to get around to fish them all on a regular basis being a the trip warrior aweek but keep working with them and find your nich

Darters work very well in LIS as do pretty much any of your other typical striper lures.  It just takes time learning the right time, place and presentation for each offering.  

jwb22,

Often the devil is inthe details. The more you share the more directed advise you will get. As JLH notes there is not a striper form that is particular to a general location here on the striper coast. They are just tools for specific tasks.

The success of most forms can often hinge on available bait and working depth of the lure.

You also need to have bass present and know how to work a plug in different ways to entice a strike.

Questions:

What forms s do you have success with?

Have you had sucess with darters elsewhere? If so, what kind of conditions/structure?

How deep are the spots you are fishing darters?

When you fish darters is it last resort when nothing else is working?

16 hours ago, jwb22 said:

I have struggled to find any success throwing Darter's in the northern long island sound / ct coast line.  I have tried fishing them close to inlets / river mouths, where there is a a slight current (among other places) and where I know there are fish, but fail to even get a bump.  Just wondering if anyone has any tips/suggestions and/or if others have experienced the same.

I have talked to a few fisherman over the years and some who have had the same opinion of the classic darter. I too share the same opinion myself. I was a Montauk regular for a couple decades. At the location it was a plug you simply needed in the toolbox. It wasn't the only plug you needed there but it worked and worked very well at times. I'd say a must have for Montauk. I fished up and down the east coast outside of Montauk and the darter (in many makes sizes and color) was pretty much useless for me. Even in the most ideal conditions for that style plug that mimic those of Montauk's "darter territory", they simply failed to produce for me. If you ever really watched a darter, it is somewhat of a sloppy swimming lure.  No real direction or cadence to it whatsoever. It just seems to meander along with no real predictable pattern like say a bomber or a danny plug.  Some may feel that is the key to it's success but I feel differently.  I know saying this will leave some people miffed but that has been my experience for what it's worth.

being a rookie myself I found that really understanding the presentation of the darter is the key... knowing what direction the water is moving and how fast is vital.. (it's not always that obvious) and what darter is going to work best in each scenario is also important. I am still getting the hang of it but I've started to catch on it regularly. Don't give up. Keep at it.

2 hours ago, FlukeOff said:

The only darter you NEED in CT waters is the 5" MAG-darter. Which isn't really a darter at all. 

Yes, I have had good success on mag darters among other plugs.

There are many different darters with so many different characteristics that I'd hesitate to call them all the same thing. They may swim differently, work at different depths, etc. I always have a darter or two in my bag, as well as a Mag Darter (even for large fish) in almost every spot that I fish. I'll catch here and there on needles, but I don't have them down nearly as well as darters. And I have terrible luck with Sluggos on stripers, though I've tried them so many times since they came out. Many times. I even got a huge largemouth on a 9" Sluggo off a freshwater beach on the first cast I ever made with one, just to see how it works. But no stripers. I finally caught a bass last month on one. But darters are one of my best confidence plugs. Or should I say a few of my best confidence plugs?