Angler #1

informative article on Oystering

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

in Cape Cod Times today . The article goes to how this reporter spent the day picking up oysters at this particular place in Wellfleet and how great it was.     Aside from the fact this person did not do a lot of oystering was evident , however for him that was fine. it was a good read   I was curious to see what the town charged  veterans over 65 get to pay for a shell fish permit. and was astounded to see it was only $20 and very good deal indeed . I may have to just look into that for myself. Non resident permit is $210 Non resident veteran [not 65] $60   The town is presently in a buy back program where they are .50 cents from the growers to restock the areas for future pickings Peace and Prayers

1 hour ago, Joe G said:

Given a choice, I'd take a Wellfleet on the half shell over any other east coast oyster.  

These are Wellfleet 

Oh and very delicious!

Resized_20211107_162256.jpeg

Edited by R.R. Bridge Fisher

16 hours ago, Joe G said:

Given a choice, I'd take a Wellfleet on the half shell over any other east coast oyster.  

Joe given the well formed shape and uniform deep structure one would think that these oysters would also be pleasing to the pallet with a little sauce like R R Bridge Fisher shows / Peace and Prayers 

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

Joe given the well formed shape and uniform deep structure one would think that these oysters would also be pleasing to the pallet with a little sauce like R R Bridge Fisher shows / Peace and Prayers 

...........and for me, that sauce must be Crosse & Blackwell Seafood Cocktail Sauce. 

Be it home or commercially made, I've found that no other shrimp or seafood sauce pleases my palate more than Crosse & Blackwell.   

14 mins ago, Joe G said:

...........and for me, that sauce must be Crosse & Blackwell Seafood Cocktail Sauce. 

Be it home or commercially made, I've found that no other shrimp or seafood sauce pleases my palate more than Crosse & Blackwell.   

Crosse & Blackwell  is owned by Smuckers Foods.

43 mins ago, bob_G said:

Crosse & Blackwell  is owned by Smuckers Foods.

Noted.  C&B, a British company,  dates  back to 1706 in merry  old England.  

The company and its product line have withstood the test of time.  

23 mins ago, Joe G said:

Noted.  C&B, a British company,  dates  back to 1706 in merry  old England.  

The company and its product line have withstood the test of time.  

Not only has their food withstood the test of time, but so has their stock.

3 mins ago, capequahog said:

Bourne wild oysters are nothing to shake a stick at

I may have tried Bourne oysters, and if they were from Bourne waters , they were very good.  Bob G would know where they were harvested. 

Bob, you recall this?  

Some years back, Bob and  his buddy drove up to my hooch in BSP in an official looking white truck with a yellow light atop the cab, and hand delivered 9 - 12 unopened oysters.  Seems he and his friend came back from a sportsman dinner and shellfish was on the menu.  It was very thoughtful of Bob to think of me.

4 hours ago, Joe G said:

The DeWitt Clinton Lodge in Sandwich used to have an amazing game dinner each winter compliments of Herbie Ellis. I used to gift them loads of pheasant.

Herbie used to put out some cool seafood options including smoked eel, smoked herring, and a massive display of raw oysters and quahogs.   His homemade cocktail sauce was legendary. As follows:

A #10 can of catsup, an 8oz cup of fresh grated horseradish,  a quarter cup of Worcestershire sauce. :drool:

2 mins ago, Joe G said:

I may have tried Bourne oysters, and if they were from Bourne waters , they were very good.  Bob G would know where they were harvested. 

Bob, you recall this?  

Some years back, Bob and  his buddy drove up to my hooch in BSP in an official looking white truck with a yellow light atop the cab, and hand delivered 9 - 12 unopened oysters.  Seems he and his friend came back from a sportsman dinner and shellfish was on the menu.  It was very thoughtful of Bob to think of me.

Joe,

My boss and I were at an MSOA (Massachusetts shellfish officer's Association) meeting.  A couple commercial growers brought in some fruits of their labor.

Those oysters were from MV. I asked the grower if I could take some for my older, feeble brother.   :laugh:

If you recall, those oysters were perfectly formed. Two year old triploids, that were run through a tumbler to chip off, and smooth all the rough edges off the shell.

23 mins ago, bob_G said:

The DeWitt Clinton Lodge in Sandwich used to have an amazing game dinner each winter compliments of Herbie Ellis. I used to gift them loads of pheasant.

Herbie used to put out some cool seafood options including smoked eel, smoked herring, and a massive display of raw oysters and quahogs.   His homemade cocktail sauce was legendary. As follows:

A #10 can of catsup, an 8oz cup of fresh grated horseradish,  a quarter cup of Worcestershire sauce. :drool:

Ah, Freemasons. Now those are an interesting  group of folks, Bob. Where you privy to any of the so called “secrets”?

5 mins ago, Joe G said:

Ah, Freemasons. Now those are an interesting  group of folks, Bob. Where you privy to any of the so called “secrets”?

Joe,

They are not a secret group, but rather a group with secrets.:squid:

31 mins ago, bob_G said:

Joe,

If you recall, those oysters were perfectly formed. Two year old triploids, that were run through a tumbler to chip off, and smooth all the rough edges off the shell.

Yes, I did notice that. 

Bob, I know you know the answer, but I wonder  how many other folks out there know what happens to an oyster when it  is regularly tumbled  and left to grow larger?