shark lobster

Random ? Woonsocket surfcasters

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

I was reading a book this weekend about old cape cod fishing from the 70,s .This group was mentioned ive never heard of them andi grew up one town away from Woonsocket ? Any info would be great .

17 hours ago, shark lobster said:

I was reading a book this weekend about old cape cod fishing from the 70,s .This group was mentioned ive never heard of them andi grew up one town away from Woonsocket ? Any info would be great .

Thundermist Striper Club...my Dad was a member back in that time. 

Don't have much info other than, they earned "Shafer Points" (sp?) throughout the season...points based on the size of the fish.

If I remember correctly Frank Daignault was a member of Thundermist or Woonsocket.  Their  local tackle shop is also famous- Murats. 

Edited by DZ

15 mins ago, DZ said:

If I remember correctly Frank Daignault was a member of Thundermist or Woonsocket.  Their  local tackle shop is also famous- Murats. 

Franks book is the one i was reading he didnt mention being part of any groups though! 

6 mins ago, shark lobster said:

Franks book is the one i was reading he didnt mention being part of any groups though! 

He wrote a ton of articles and gave numerous lectures where he mentioned the clubs.  I’m not positive he was a member.  I was involved in the Schaefer contest and always remember seeing the Woonsocket clubs in the point standings.  Try posting this  question in the plug collectors forum.  Lots of older guys there.  

4 mins ago, bob_G said:

1971, I was 18 years old. I won the Schaefer Tournament "most valuable angler award".

Beat that bassmaster. :naughty:

FB_IMG_1638284910827.jpg

Very nice. What club were you affiliated with? 

4 mins ago, shark lobster said:

Thats awesome Bob what gets you the win ? 

Points. It's the number of point fish you enter.  Yes you're right Chuck. It's no wonder the fishery collapsed.

13 mins ago, bob_G said:

Points. It's the number of point fish you enter.  Yes you're right Chuck. It's no wonder the fishery collapsed.

And were did you do most of your fishing ? Canal or beaches ? 

4 mins ago, shark lobster said:

And were did you do most of your fishing ? Canal or beaches ? 

Almost all canal.  I also won a beautiful trophy for the largest striper caught in Maine.

Edited by bob_G

The Schaefer contest was a points based inter club competition.  Points were awarded as 1 point per pound from a boat caught bass and 2 points per pound from shore caught bass.  Clubs that had a good group of surfcasters could rack up the points quick in a good bite.