The Fisherman

First Snook on the Fly

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

16 mins ago, The Fisherman said:

I know, people catch these all the time. But I'd never had the pleasure before this month. Not a bad snook for my first on the fly. Taken in the Everglades in a small, dark, tidal creek. It was hiding in a little notch (as so many of the fish were) in the mangrove-choked shoreline. The attack speed of these larger snook is breathtaking, as is the hit. I hand-stripped this fish in, the better to control its urges to flee into the mangrove roots. My smile says it all! Props to Capt. Mark Giacobba for coaching and kibitzing.

Steve Culton

FirstSnook.jpeg.99ec16fc1cf476d852afd5cf748eaf54.jpeg

On a fly rod they are all special, great place to get them. Thanks for pic and story !”Welcome aboard the snook express:rav:

Favorite Snook fly--sparsely  tied white on a 1/0 hook.

Cast into mangroves.  Caught many snook on this fly in Pine Island Sound

and Charlotte Harbor.

2 hours ago, The Fisherman said:

I could really get used to this fishery...in a hurry. :-)

Steve Culton

It can be addicting, that’s for sure. Snook, Redfish, Jacks, Tarpon, Trout and more depending on what part of Florida you are fishing. Congrats on your first Snook. Pulling a big snook out of the mangroves ranks right up there from a fishing experience perspective. 

Welcome to the club. Nice catch. Don't get the chance to much to fish for them anymore but would go down to west palm  once a year for work. Catching them in the surf is a blast

Excellent Steve. 

Yes, when they are back there, any fly that looks like white bait, not too many details, will work. 

On 11/29/2021 at 6:40 PM, The Fisherman said:

I could really get used to this fishery...in a hurry. :-)

Steve Culton

Snook "the Southern Linesider"  ... awesome lightning take. But you fish for them just like Stripers .... so you're a natural. Keep having fun!