puff tentacle

Mets sign Max Scherzer

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I can’t believe we got Scherzer.   I am surprised because when he said he signed with the Dodgers he made it clear that he wanted to sign with a contender.   I hope Max knows something that we don’t !

i hate the deal.  hes old af, has a chronically bad back.  feels like a straight cash grab.  i really dont see how this turns out in the mets favor.  

all that being said its not my $$ and doesnt seem to matter like AT ALL sooooo LETS GO METS

edit.  also, they dont even have a ****ing manager yet lol

Edited by gobigblue

53 mins ago, puff tentacle said:

I can’t believe we got Scherzer.   I am surprised because when he said he signed with the Dodgers he made it clear that he wanted to sign with a contender.   I hope Max knows something that we don’t !

How much for how long?

I don't like it and i'd rather the Mets just sell everyone(even degrom) for prospects and start from the ground up. Scherzer is damn good though and you know what you're getting with him.  

1 min ago, Gotcow? said:

How much for how long?

Probably a billion a year for 4 years.

14 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

How much for how long?

$130m, only 3 years. 

huge record breaking AAV and a big F U to all the broke ass mlb owners lol

8 mins ago, gobigblue said:

$130m, only 3 years. 

huge record breaking AAV and a big F U to all the broke ass mlb owners lol

Interesting when you consider the CBA expires in 2 days and it's looking like there may well be an extended lockout coming.

BTW, that's an effin insane deal.

Edited by Gotcow?

3 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Interesting when you consider the CBA expires in 2 days and it's looking like there may well be an extended lockout coming.

yea pretty sure everyone assumes that's a given, and probably why the mets made such a quick push to sign all these randoms like a drunken sailor.  a DH would be huge because they have so many bats without a position.

1 min ago, gobigblue said:

yea pretty sure everyone assumes that's a given, and probably why the mets made such a quick push to sign all these randoms like a drunken sailor.  a DH would be huge because they have so many bats without a position.

Could very well blow up in their faces depending on what salary cap gets agreed to.

While I'd never knock signing a pitcher of that caliber, pitching wasn't really this team's issues - I think recent history shows that you have a pitcher on this staff already who, not too long ago, won the cy young despite a poor record  - because his ERA was next to zero, but his team couldn't score any runs...which actually highlights where this team's real needs were 

7 mins ago, albacized said:

While I'd never knock signing a pitcher of that caliber, pitching wasn't really this team's issues - I think recent history shows that you have a pitcher on this staff already who, not too long ago, won the cy young despite a poor record  - because his ERA was next to zero, but his team couldn't score any runs...which actually highlights where this team's real needs were 

They need pitching. They need another starter on top of Scherzer.  Honestly its a shame they didn't get Matz he would have been a good lefty for them. 

It’s not my money so I am fine with it . It won’t be pretty special because it’s the METS !  but it could be ????    Super exciting to see both deGrom and Max in the same rotation though.   Imagine if they are healthy even for a season.   Wow!

20 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Could very well blow up in their faces depending on what salary cap gets agreed to.

doubtful.  this their full time job.  everything i read said they are still well below whatever the projected "cap" might be, and cohen has already said he doesnt really care about the tax if they go over.  MLB will never have a hard cap, the union is way too strong.