Notable Catch

Safe and good price to buy JDM rods

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

For next year, I wanted to try a single jig method for fluke and was interest in Shimano Dialuna S96M.  I've never bought a JDM rod before and kind of lost to where to get them.  I don't want to end up with fake one and one of the worst thing for me for buying a rod is when rod is not straight and guides are off center/mis-aligned which seems more than half of rods I bought had issue with.  Matter in fact, I bought ODM Genesis very recently and the guide on butt end(not sure why ODM went 50/50) was off center to the reel seat.  Not good for $400 rod.

Anyways, I've found a couple of stores but wasn't sure if they are good and Ebay, not sure if I can trust.  I can deal with Ebay if one is trustworthy.  Anyone know of a place with decent price that has Dialuna S96M?  Good with exchange/return in case rod/guide isn't stright/aligned?  I've seen anywhere from like $250 free shipping to $300+$80 shipping.

Thank you

Digitaka is legit, reliable, saves you money, AND ships faster than most tackle sites located in the US lol.. I also like Asian Portal Fishing on the bay..

There are many other totally legit JDM sites but these two have a very large selection, fast shipping, and responsive customer service.

Just don't spend over $700ish in one shot ( I think that's the trigger for customs scrutiny but idk for sure, maybe $900).

But yeah legit Digitaka ships faster from Tokyo than Tackle Warehouse can ship right now.

Digitaka and APF are probably the best.

Shimreels, Japan Tackle Warehouse, and Plat (my most used/favorite) are also quality.

Note that I've never actually had a problem with any orders, so I can't speak for Plat's CS policies.

Thank you both.  I've checked Digitaka and looks like they don't have any Dialuna.  Also checked Aisian portal fishing and they have 106 but not 96.  106 might be little to long for what I need.

Any other places I can check?

If you're open beach fluking we've gone away from the 96M Dialuna/Labrax in favor of 7'6 freshwater bass rods - you don't need to cast far and 1/4oz jigheads is as heavy as we ever use.

The new Steez Compile X AGS 76MML is the rod to get if you can swing it, if not - Tatula AGS, Shimano Zodias, and a few other lines come in that 7'6M - ML range. 

If you're set on a JDM rod I've had good success reaching out to jpangler - doesn't matter if they have it in stock fill out the contact form and they'll likely find it. However, I've never had to return one...better ask them to perform a quick QC prior to shipping. In my experience unless the rod/reel arrives broken it's difficult for shops in japan to eat shipping cost back, and that's understandable.  

1 hour ago, Notable Catch said:

Thank you both.  I've checked Digitaka and looks like they don't have any Dialuna.  Also checked Aisian portal fishing and they have 106 but not 96.  106 might be little to long for what I need.

Any other places I can check?

Which year are you looking for?

Plat has the 2018 model and possibly more.

Get your self the Daiwa Saltist Westcoast 2-Piece Spinning Rods from tackle warehouse in either 9ML or 9M. ML is good upto 3/8 oz + plastic the M is good up to probably 3/4 + plastic. Nice sticks for not much money and incredibly light.

Plat has the exact model S96M of 2018 series for $225 free shipping though on “back order” at this time. Note that JDM rods are normally covered with 1 year warranty from manufacturing defect. I broke an Ocea Jigger rod after a year and ended with a collection of nice titanium frame guides. Haven’t asked for warranty claim, just inquired.

I have bought from Asian Portal Fishing, Plat and North One. Digitaka is usually sold out on anything I want.  Things have changed with shipping so it is harder to get rods with reasonable shipping rates or they won't ship at all.  This is mostly regarding APF since I have dealt with them recently.  I'm not up to date with shipping and the other sites. I have had no problems with eBay sellers with a lot of reviews so I can't say which is good when something goes wrong.  With eBay, you have to pay for tax, and you probably don't dealing directly with the websites so it is better to go through North's website than using their eBay listing.

On 11/29/2021 at 1:29 PM, Saltfruit said:

Digitaka and APF are probably the best.

Shimreels, Japan Tackle Warehouse, and Plat (my most used/favorite) are also quality.

Note that I've never actually had a problem with any orders, so I can't speak for Plat's CS policies.

Wow, just checked this thread again and see many inputs.  Thank you!

I checked Shimreels but couldn't find it.  Japan Teackle Warehouse, I couldn't find it.  One that I came close to was JDM part of Tackle Warehouse.  Plat, I think I found it and they look like they have stock.

On 11/29/2021 at 1:43 PM, buddha162 said:

If you're open beach fluking we've gone away from the 96M Dialuna/Labrax in favor of 7'6 freshwater bass rods - you don't need to cast far and 1/4oz jigheads is as heavy as we ever use.

The new Steez Compile X AGS 76MML is the rod to get if you can swing it, if not - Tatula AGS, Shimano Zodias, and a few other lines come in that 7'6M - ML range. 

If you're set on a JDM rod I've had good success reaching out to jpangler - doesn't matter if they have it in stock fill out the contact form and they'll likely find it. However, I've never had to return one...better ask them to perform a quick QC prior to shipping. In my experience unless the rod/reel arrives broken it's difficult for shops in japan to eat shipping cost back, and that's understandable.  

The man himself.  :)

What was the main reason you switch to 7'6"?  Because distance didn't make much difference with 1/4oz between those two rods? Or Fluke tend to sit close to shore that you don't have to cast far?  Any other reasons?

I got a couple of packs of Gamakatsu 3/16oz and 1/4oz ball jig heads and tried with Star Seagis 1/2oz-1.5oz 7' rod earlier this year.  Most likely due to lure rating but at same time, maybe I'm just not used to that light jig head, I couldn't feel the bottom at all.

That's why I wanted to buy dedicated rod.  The main reason I picked S96M was due to you mentioning it in earlier video and thread.  All my longer rods are rated at least 1oz-4oz and I always thought about little lighter set up even before coming across your info for things like Mag Darter, SP Minnow, Tsunami Eel, Epoxy jig etc.  S96M looked perfect for your method and light lures I've mentioned so I can Fluke with it and also slap on Stradic 5000 and use it for Striper, Blue, Albie(Need to catch my first one) and Spanish(Again still looking for my first one) and be very light surf set up.

Things might have changed a little for me now though and the reason I'm asking above question.  I've very recently ordered ODM Genesis 10' which I actually happened to receive it today.  Lure rating on that starts at 1/2OZ which makes it good for all the light lures I've mentioned.  So other than like 4oz-5oz(Which I still love to shave off) weight, this new rod can be truely dedicated Fluke rod.

Depending on your reason of switching to 7'6" I might actually go with it now since targeting other species with this rod is not really needed.  I might go with longer rod with lither lure rating at some point but not sure now. 

I also wanted to avoid ordering from Japan for reason that you mentioned.  I don't know if I have bad luck with rods but more than half of my rods I ordered online had issue with either rod itself not being straight and/or guides not centered and/or aligned. There are actually 2 rods that I don't use it for myself since off centered and mis-aligned guides bothered me so much.  Only reason I was looking to order from Japan was since there's no place here that I can buy in US.

For 7'6", I could possibly swing Steez but kind of hard to swallow it not knowing if I'm going to like this method.  Tatula and Zodia is more agreeable and can give to my son then get Steez for myself if I really like it.  :)

For Tatula, Daiwa Tatula Elite AGS Spin Rod 7'6" ML Feider and for Zodias, Shimano Zodias Spinning Rod 7'6" Medium I'm assuming?  Both are rated 3/16oz - 1/2oz.

Thank you

16 hours ago, faithless said:

Get your self the Daiwa Saltist Westcoast 2-Piece Spinning Rods from tackle warehouse in either 9ML or 9M. ML is good upto 3/8 oz + plastic the M is good up to probably 3/4 + plastic. Nice sticks for not much money and incredibly light.

Yeah, I looked in to that for lighter surf set up before but not for Fluke and I remembered about it.  One thing about it was how sensitive it is or part that I don't know how it is.

It's little different rating but I tried with Star Seagis that I have rated .5oz - 1.5oz which is somewhat close to 9M.  As I mentioned in earlier post, it was most likely the rating, could be that I'm not used to 1/2oz jig head and/or wave/wind that day but I couldn't feel the bottom what so ever with it.  I just gave what I think it was enough time to get to bottom and hope it stays in target zone while I'm jigging it in.

So I figures I'll take it out of option as I wasn't certain about it.  I might eventually get it for other lures I've mentioned for other species though.