njcatchrelease

Question on Rigging with a Teaser

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Last fall was the first time that I can actually say I truly surf fished for stripers.  I have done it in the past but very sporadically.  I had good success last fall when the sand eels were around throwing tins and teasers.  I tied my braid to a barrel swivel then I added about 3 feet of mono to a TA clip that I either connected to a plug or tins.  From the same spot on the barrel swivel that went to the plug/tin I attached 4 to 6 inches on mono to another TA clip and this is were I attached my teaser.  My question is did I attached the teaser to the correct spot on the barrel swivel or should I have attached to the spot where the braid was tied on?

Edited by njcatchrelease

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The teaser should be tied to the bottom of the barrel swivel (the one with your leader... not the top one that has your main line)   

 

Sounds like you have it right

 

 

Edited by Pistol Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, Pistol Pete said:

The teaser should be tied to the bottom of the barrel swivel (the one with your leader... not the top one that has your main line)   

 

Sounds like you have it right

 

 

Thanks for the feedback.  While reading other posts I wasn't sure.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, another method would be to tie a dropper loop in the leader, about 10" away from the swivel. You can then attach the teaser leader to this, the result is the teaser doesn't wrap around the main leader quite as often, the downside is if the dropper loop isn't tied properly it could become the weakest point and we all know what that means. I do believe that at 4" to 6" your short on your teaser leader, I like a 4 ft. leader with a 10"-12" teaser. This still keeps the main plug 3 feet behind the teaser which means the fish won't keep bumping the teaser and get suspicious that somethings not right, just a theory to keep enough distance between the plug and teaser not to scare the fish away.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

I agree, another method would be to tie a dropper loop in the leader, about 10" away from the swivel. You can then attach the teaser leader to this, the result is the teaser doesn't wrap around the main leader quite as often, the downside is if the dropper loop isn't tied properly it could become the weakest point and we all know what that means. I do believe that at 4" to 6" your short on your teaser leader, I like a 4 ft. leader with a 10"-12" teaser. This still keeps the main plug 3 feet behind the teaser which means the fish won't keep bumping the teaser and get suspicious that somethings not right, just a theory to keep enough distance between the plug and teaser not to scare the fish away.  

I had read to keep the teaser leader short to help eliminate it wrapping.  I guess it is time to experiment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 mins ago, njcatchrelease said:

I had read to keep the teaser leader short to help eliminate it wrapping.  I guess it is time to experiment!

And I will try your method, might be the ticket and there is no downside thats evident. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got back n forth on this. I used to use a dropper loop n loop the teaser on the loop. Then I started tying a short separate leader for the teaser off the swivel (4-6”). I used to tie a small dropper loop with a swivel in it. Maybe a 1” loop. The swivel would get tied to my main line, and each leg would go to the plug, and 1 for the teaser,  with appropriate lengths of whatever leader material you chose  currently I run with no teaser. Mostly for safety reasons. There is no right answer…. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.