C.Crisp

Tools/Accessories Question

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Updating my inlet fishing system, looking to diy and buy a few things. I’ll be on foot so weight and ergonomics are a consideration here.

Pliers: Always used generic type from hardware store, never had aluminum type with splint ring tip, would this be a PITA when handling fish? 

Lanyards: How strong should they be? Saw a set of two at BPS for $4,  wondering if I would regret this. Has a lanyard ever posed a safety hazard for you or the fish? Anyone ever diy this?

Sheaths: Have made leather sheaths for tools, wondering if kydex type would be better to reduce rusting.

Lip Grips: have successfully handled slot fish without them, does it damage the fishes mouth at all? Anyone ever try the Tsunami pair?  

Edited by C.Crisp

2 hours ago, C.Crisp said:

Updating my inlet fishing system, looking to diy and buy a few things. I’ll be on foot so weight and ergonomics are a consideration here.

Pliers: Always used generic type from hardware store, never had aluminum type with splint ring tip, would this be a PITA when handling fish? 

Lanyards: How strong should they be? Saw a set of two at BPS for $4,  wondering if I would regret this. Has a lanyard ever posed a safety hazard for you or the fish? Anyone ever diy this?

Sheaths: Have made leather sheaths for tools, wondering if kydex type would be better to reduce rusting.

Lip Grips: have successfully handled slot fish without them, does it damage the fishes mouth at all? Anyone ever try the Tsunami pair?  

I’d personally go for a set of cheap aluminum pliers AND a set of split ring pliers.

i have used lip grippers similar to the tsunami (rapala) when I didn’t think a boga was worth the money.

A boga is worth the money.

5 hours ago, C.Crisp said:

Yes.  Split ring pliers are very helpful for removing and putting on split rings, but they would probably be a massive PITA if used outside of this role.  I would use a pair pliers (or forceps) without the split ring tip for removing hooks and tightening knots.  

Agree that split ring pliers do a specific job. I'd go Texas Tackle for the split ring pliers, and I'd search the big auction suite for a used pair of Sargent or Bernard pliers with side cutters. 

My pliers were an investment as well. I think I paid $6.00 for them at Walmart. I have three pairs, two in the boat and another in the bag for walking. They might be branded as Rapalas but I can’t remember the name. I did buy them in the fishing department. I’ve had them for so many years I can’t remember how long I’ve had them. After all, they are just pliers. Do they rust? I guess they would if I let them. I wipe them down and hit them with a little oil every now and again. The best part is I was able to get three pairs of pliers and contribute a hundred bucks to my 401K. The best fishing investment out there is financial security. split ring pliers I have on the bench. They need to be their own tool. I Never needed to remove split rings while out fishing so I don’t carry them. Bogo grips - I have a BPS knock off pair. They work great and again, another Hundo in the old 401K. I don’t use Lanyards and sheaths fall into the minutia of fishing for me. I don’t really put much thought into them. Any old sheath works for me. 

If you want to really help your fishing system, don’t  buy the hype and strive for financial independence. It’s the best thing that’s ever happened to my fishing. 

Edited by poopdeck

^^^ I agree with much of what poopdeck says ^^^.

I spend a fair amount on quality rods and reels but not on pliers.

They are too easy to drop and lose.

Besides, in my view, pliers are more for unhooking than anything else and inexpensive pliers perform that task as well as ultra expensive ones.

Sure my department store needle nose pair won’t cut braided line cleanly but even guys I know who have pricey pliers have had problems with their line cutters.

Either the cutters get misaligned or the blades get dull and then they can’t find replacements, etc.

I carry inexpensive scissors for braid. They work great.

Theres no heartache and disappointment with my inexpensive pliers.

Use ‘em up and get a new pair. 
Simple.

I should add that I buy them a few at a time, wrap cord around the handles and cover that with epoxy.

No manufacturer that I’m aware of makes a better, more effective non-slip grip than what I have on my cheap pliers. Seriously.

My pliers show some surface rust by the end of my season, but a brisk wire brushing followed by an application of lubricant/rust preventative ensures that they’re ready for another season or ten.

I figure that I’ve saved enough $$$ by not owning/losing expensive pliers over the past 50 years that I can easily pay for the new snow thrower I’m picking up shortly.

Cheers!

I would defiantly go with separate split ring and regular pliers. The split ring pliers will last indefinably as long as you don't use them for removing hooks and snap off the tip. There are a bunch of good cheap <$20 options for split ring pliers now. The lip grip is nice to have when unhooking fish on trebles and the $15 plastic ones are perfect if you aren't planning on weighing fish. As for lanyards I just use shock cord because its dirt cheap.

6 mins ago, pattycakes said:

I would defiantly go with separate split ring and regular pliers. The split ring pliers will last indefinably as long as you don't use them for removing hooks and snap off the tip. There are a bunch of good cheap <$20 options for split ring pliers now. The lip grip is nice to have when unhooking fish on trebles and the $15 plastic ones are perfect if you aren't planning on weighing fish. As for lanyards I just use shock cord because its dirt cheap.

I agree with all of these points. I would also add that weighing fish my hanging them from the jaw is very bad for the health of the fish. This is particularly so in the case of larger fish

22 mins ago, HKJonathan said:

I agree with all of these points. I would also add that weighing fish my hanging them from the jaw is very bad for the health of the fish. This is particularly so in the case of larger fish

Boga convert here, I can care less what my fish weighs to be honest. It simply holds on to the fish better then the plastic ones making hook removal much easier for you and the fish. I didn’t think it was worth it until I bougt one. 

1 hour ago, Callmefish said:

Boga convert here, I can care less what my fish weighs to be honest. It simply holds on to the fish better then the plastic ones making hook removal much easier for you and the fish. I didn’t think it was worth it until I bougt one. 

I use a plastic lip grip for the same purpose and I do find it helpful particularly for bluefish. For bass, I don’t generally need it but I will say that I don’t generally fish while standing on a rock and I recognize that the smaller dimensions of a Boga make it easier to get It in the mouth of the fish that a plastic grip. Please don’t take My comment as a criticism of people with Bogas so much as a caution that hanging fish was not a good thing for them. 

8 mins ago, HKJonathan said:

I use a plastic lip grip for the same purpose and I do find it helpful particularly for bluefish. For bass, I don’t generally need it but I will say that I don’t generally fish while standing on a rock and I recognize that the smaller dimensions of a Boga make it easier to get It in the mouth of the fish that a plastic grip. Please don’t take My comment as a criticism of people with Bogas so much as a caution that hanging fish was not a good thing for them. 

No it wasn’t taken in a negative way at al, no worries man.  I wanted to shift the focus of the gripper of the boga from the scale. In my opinion the gripper is the important part.

my plastic grippers would twist when a fish filipped it’s tail and when closed hold on to the fish as well as the boga.