Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jeffapeikin

Fish ID Sundial or WF)

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Caught this on a small rig recently in an inlet? Hardly any meat. Mouth had no teeth amd was fairly big when extended. Totally translucent . Which do I have here?

638BA891-6622-4D9F-B834-406143089CB7.jpeg

Winter Flounder are "right-facing", so that's an easy way to differentiate.  Both fluke and sundials are "left-facing", so it might be harder to tell between them.  I think the lack of teeth would be a good way to ID as a sundial, as well as the thinness and that they're more "round" than "oval" in shape.

10 mins ago, hobobob said:

So you are not sure what it is and yet....:laugh:

I expected this comment. The fish was probably 12"+ so it was legal for a winter flounder if it was that and there is no regs on sundial so it was good no matter what to keep. But I getcha

this is a sundial/window pane flounder

winter flounder (black back flounder) have teeny little mouths with rubbery lips. usually solid dark brown coloration. rarely spots.

sundials have a mouth that is very similar to a crappie. 

9 mins ago, jeffapeikin said:

Yup. 

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

So you are not sure what it is and yet....:laugh:

I knew the regs, just not my species. Thought I had a wf. Lady who gave me a rig asked me if I wanted to try, amd I obliged. I just figured it was a wf. And wanted to try and eat it. I measured it at 13” as if it was indeed a wf. 

It didn’t look like a summer fluke amd it was bigger than most windowpanes. Also, the lady who I was next to I imagine would have let me know. But I see you’re point.