jjdbike

Shipping vs flying w/ gear over holiday?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I'm flying from PA to SoCal for Christmas week. We're traveling during high travel times so airports will be busy. I'll be traveling w/ some fishing good gear (i.e. rods, reels, tackle, wadding and fishing apparel, etc. that I do not want damaged or lost. Not taking a ton so I could potentially check it for a fee. I'm concerned about hassle of traveling w/ it on a busy travel period and the  potential of loss or damage.

Is shipping it to the destination a better - safer option? It will most likely be noticeably more expensive but that's okay. I know shipping will take a while over the holidays.

What are your experiences and opinions?

Respectfully,

JD

When I used to travel alot. There were more than a few times I shipped gear. Also used to fly with a ton of gear too.

Now granted this was before covid. So, doubtful any of this is helpful now.

What I do know is I had both UPS and Usps do strange stuff with my packages in the last year 

Keep it with you ,conditions now with any kind of shipping is risky. If you need them when you get to your destination I would want some control of where the gear is.  I took a trip to Alaska many years ago and my rods got there a week later, just about  when I was getting ready to leave.

I fly a lot with rods and it depends on what type of rod your fishing 

I just came back from Louisiana and the rods I took were all 7 to 7’6 spinning and casting rods so an almost 8 foot rod tube was in order and that sucks and they whacked me over size even thought the 4 rods and tube weighted nothing.

I’ve taken the same tube all the way to the amazon again besides additional charges no worries

regardless reels go in carry on 

I’ve had bad luck with shipping rods of late seems everyone is not to careful and I’ve been getting shipped rods like this lately 

9586C3EC-CDD3-4273-B35C-C856DC7C8FC5.jpe
87A4D7EF-FD9F-4A7D-8E8A-991FDE67D915.jpe
62D60677-67A1-448E-B27F-1409070AF18B.jpe

I have another rod that was shipped to me floating around the country currently so not much confidence 

traveling with 9 foot 4 piece fly rods is the ticket and no hassle just carry on with the reels. It’s a shame that no one makes a good 4 piece travel spinning and casting rod. I’ve tried a bunch but can’t stand them and always end up toting the long tube for spin and casting and carrying on reels and flyrods 

Edited by Joe Paranee

Do not check it if at all possible, carry all rods with you.  A nice rigid metal tube goes a long way if you do check it though.

The TSA website states you, can carry fishing rods on, print it out and have it with you if anyone gives you a tough time.

E05FC6B1-87EA-44A9-967B-8ACE22B15DDA.png

11 hours ago, Joe Paranee said:

Depending on tube length if over a certain length they will make you check 

This. Check with airline specs not just TSA. 

For example, with Spirit Air, max carry-on dimensions are 18“ x 14“ x 8“. You cannot carry-on 30” rod tubes, even diagonally. Other airlines do allow tubes so check website, even call. I have carried rod tubes on in the past with “bigger” airlines.

Also, with nearly all airlines fishing hooks (flies) were considered potential weapons :laugh: Typically you must check fly box in luggage. Carry on flies at your own risk of loss. On latest trip all went inside 30+” bag, well padded with clothing, no problems. Reels went in carry on, got inspected in tray by TSA.
  I have unintentionally gotten a few flies through the x-ray machine by luck. I’ve also had flies confiscated and had to quickly move them to my checked luggage. Small airport, I was lucky. I’ve thought about carrying a few “sacrifice” flies in a carry-on, unobtrusively positioned, as a Plan B in case my luggage was delayed but rods were available.

Mailing flies several weeks ahead of time is a possibility. It depends on the destination. Mailing to residence or hotel is fine, general delivery to the PO is two weeks hold time. I haven’t mailed flies in several years. Would only consider it if I had a complex trip with several transfers, or guide advised it.
  Bottom line, carry as much as possible, check valuable flies in luggage or mail well in advance, inquire first about rod tubes, have backup plan (mailing envelope) and be able to talk fast and think on your feet.

I've shipped probably 50lbs if lead to a fishing destination.  Didn't want to carry it on.  If it fits it ships.  Other terminal tackle and odds and ends I'd ship too.  Easier to ship it than to carry all of it on your back.  Things I would not want to ship would be reels and other small things I didn't want anyone to touch and that's getting carried on.  How about the sheer cost of it too.

Edited by Bunkerface

I got a piece of 3" pvc and glued screw end caps onto it. Stuff up to 7 and a half foot rods in there and check it in. No oversized fee with southwest for fishing rods up to around that length and 2 bags are free anyway. Big hooks, pliers, and knives go in the other checked bag. Reels in my carry on. Ive even flown multiple times with a backpacked stuffed with largemouth tackle. 5+ plano boxes of hard baits including trebles, plano of terminal including bigger EWGs for T-rigs, and theyll still let you carry it on. 

Sometime ago I had to remove my fishing reels from my carry on baggage as it was considered the braided fishing line could be used as a 'garrote'. I now either pack my spools separately in hold luggage or de-spool the line to and re-spool when I get to my destination.