devince

wingshooting

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

Does any one know of a wing shooting school on the East coast? I would like to be properly measured for shotgun fit. Back story is I want to buy probaly my last shotgun for bird hunting. I want a 20 gauge over under - they can get pricey so I want that one gun that just feels right , shoulders right and swings like a dream. I'm not talking thousands of bucks(which you can easily do) but a great fit . I'm 5'7 and don't have a long reach so in the past I've taken a saw and cut an inch off the stock then replaced the butt pad to get a good fit. At said school I would also be interested in a critique of my shooting and a few lessons. I've been bird hunting for 30 years and have never had a great fitting gun. That's why I'd like to be professionally measured , then start looking for a shotgun in those specs then narrow it down to how it feel , swings etc... I'm a pretty good shot but when you miss a shot you know you should have nailed it's aggravating. All the man hours it takes to train a good bird dog(years) all the days walking the fields usually in bad weather(freezing,wind) this is the one thing I am willing to treat myself. I currently shoot a American Arms 20 over under but it's not the best fit. Thanks guys. And good luck to all you late season deer hunters , I'm sure your big buck is still out there!

34 mins ago, devince said:

Does any one know of a wing shooting school on the East coast? I would like to be properly measured for shotgun fit. Back story is I want to buy probaly my last shotgun for bird hunting. I want a 20 gauge over under - they can get pricey so I want that one gun that just feels right , shoulders right and swings like a dream. I'm not talking thousands of bucks(which you can easily do) but a great fit . I'm 5'7 and don't have a long reach so in the past I've taken a saw and cut an inch off the stock then replaced the butt pad to get a good fit. At said school I would also be interested in a critique of my shooting and a few lessons. I've been bird hunting for 30 years and have never had a great fitting gun. That's why I'd like to be professionally measured , then start looking for a shotgun in those specs then narrow it down to how it feel , swings etc... I'm a pretty good shot but when you miss a shot you know you should have nailed it's aggravating. All the man hours it takes to train a good bird dog(years) all the days walking the fields usually in bad weather(freezing,wind) this is the one thing I am willing to treat myself. I currently shoot a American Arms 20 over under but it's not the best fit. Thanks guys. And good luck to all you late season deer hunters , I'm sure your big buck is still out there!

Why O/O?  That's more of a trap/skeet set up.  Love my sxs 20 with double trigger for dove.  

Off the shelf shot guns are going to be set up for the "average" shooter.  In other words, they are a compromise.  Drop, cast off/on, and length of pull are all going to be based on Joe 6-pack.  When you get measured for a custom stock, the stock maker will take all of these into account.   It can be a painstaking process depending on how much "custom" you want.  A good custom stock can easily be north of $2500 alone, (not including the rest of the shotgun).  If you go with premium wood you can spend ALOT more.

To find an off the shelf gun that has your particular specs could be a daunting task.  Good luck in your search.

Edited by Jeff270

M&M Hunting preserve, Pennsville, NJ.

Place is owned and operated by one of the best sporting clays shooters on the face of the earth…

3 mins ago, Inshore said:

M&M Hunting preserve, Pennsville, NJ.

Place is owned and operated by one of the best sporting clays shooters on the face of the earth…

Yep. This would be #1 on my list. I couldn't remember the name.  

19 hours ago, devince said:

The Story

Just minutes from our flagship store, along the famed Battenkill, you'll find the Manchester Wingshooting School, a world-class custom shooting instruction course staffed with professional shotgun shooting instructors ready to help turn novices into skilled shooters, and skilled shooters into experts. Our Manchester shotgun shooting instruction has been turning out excellent wingshooters for generations. This shotgun shooting school and upland hunting school is your opportunity to learn from the best. Manchester, Vermont is known for its breathtaking scenery, beautiful country roads, and rustic covered bridges. Choose to attend either our one-day or two-day school. Each school includes lunch, all shells, use of an Orvis gun, eye and ear protection, and custom gunfitting.

The Orvis Winghooting Schools were the first of their kind offered in the United States, and for over twenty-five years have offered shooters the finest wingshooting and hunting instruction available anywhere in the world.

Based on the English Churchill method, our instinctive approach to shotgunning offers both the novice and the seasoned veteran a complete shooting system that can be used for upland and waterfowl hunting and sporting clays. The fundamentals of the Orvis system include stance, footwork, gun handling, swing, visual concentration, proper gun mount, and correct fit of the gun stock.

The Orvis shooting instructors are consummate professionals who are beside you at every shot quietly analyzing and improving your style.

In addition to firing hundreds of rounds of ammunition, each student participates in classroom instruction on basic shotgun safety, shotshell selection, and shotgun patterning. Students are grouped together according to their level of skill and experience, and treated to a uniquely designed, fully automated instruction area that provides a full array of clay target angles.

The tuition includes comprehensive shooting instruction, all targets and ammunition, lunches each school day, and a copy of the Orvis Wingshooting Handbook. The use of an Orvis shotgun is available at no additional charge if desired. A complimentary gun fitting to establish and record individual stock dimensions is also available for students participating in the two-day school at this location.

Both 1 & 2 Day Schools offer small class sizes – a 4:1 student-to-instructor ratio.

1-Day Wingshooting School Overview

Basic shotgun safety

Discussion of proper mount, stance and shotgun fit

Hands-on instruction and practice shooting at varied stations

Demonstrations on how to shoot going away, crossing, low incomers, singles and doubles

Catered lunch and time to chat with classmates

Special offers on Orvis gear

Use of an Orvis shotgun, if you wish

2-Day Wingshooting School Overview

Basic shotgun safety

Discussion of proper mount, stance and shotgun fit

Hands-on instruction and practice shooting at varied stations

Demonstrations on how to shoot going away, crossing, low incomers, singles and doubles

2-Day School involves significantly more shots over the two-day period

Catered lunch and time to chat with classmates

Special offers on Orvis gear

Use of an Orvis shotgun, if you wish

Complimentary gun fitting is available during 2-day schools in Manchester, VT; Millbrook, NY; Sylacauga, AL and Blue Ridge Summit, PA

If you want to learn more, please reach out to the Schools Team and request the specific itinerary for your chosen Orvis School location.

When I worked at Orvis (in Greenvale, NY) we had this lady come in and we were talking hunting, she says she is doing the local fox hunt (big equestrian area there) so I asked What caliber gun do you use for Fox? She was mortified

We dont use any guns, there is no fox, a scented rag is dragged around for the dogs to follow and we follow the dogs on the horses

sounds pretty lame

Edited by Sandflee