MCL169

Adding weight to lures

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I want to use lures from a small boat. Other than jig heads to add weight I was looking at

Trolling sinkers and California rigs. Any recommendations or feed back including weight choice? Want to troll, jig and cast lures from boat primarily for blues and striped bass. 

Edited by MCL169

Geez, have to say it depends. What are you using for bait/lures? How fast are you trolling? What is the water depth and how deep do you want to be? What is your line? Mono? Braid? Lead core? I have not used lead core, and have used a trolling sinker. But you have to judge all these factors and some of it just comes with experience. Troll cheap stuff first, like tubes before you use expensive trolling lures, until you get the hang of it. Part of the challenge and fun of this sport is learning what works for you. 

4 hours ago, Good2Go said:

Geez, have to say it depends. What are you using for bait/lures? How fast are you trolling? What is the water depth and how deep do you want to be? What is your line? Mono? Braid? Lead core? I have not used lead core, and have used a trolling sinker. But you have to judge all these factors and some of it just comes with experience. Troll cheap stuff first, like tubes before you use expensive trolling lures, until you get the hang of it. Part of the challenge and fun of this sport is learning what works for you. 

I'm going to use a Okuma 303 cold water with 40 or 50lb braid. Probably jig heads with soft bait, diamonds and some hard plastics. Mixed bag. I also have a okois 656 I'm looking to get a rod for. Mainly fishing for strips, blues and porgies but whatever is biting. Also have a warfare on the way. Three conventional set ups. Ordered a tsunami Jigging rod. Need two more conventional rods. .

Edited by MCL169

I have drilled holes in cheap Rapala type minnow imitations and inserted spent .177 lead pellets into the hole before capping it off with epoxy.   Didn't seem to ruin the action but I readily admit that until a month ago I never caught a fish from the beach with anything but tins and Tsunami type shad paddletails.    It takes a lot of .177 pellets to add even half an ounce.  I have also stuck a couple of nails into the aforementioned rubber shad paddletails.   My best casts with no wind go about 60 yards, using 20lb braid, and a 9' or 10' rod.  Measured a few casts by pacing them off on the sand, not guessing how far out the second wave was.

I've added water to Bombers in the past, but once they and super strike started making heavy lures I haven't messed with them besides swapping out hooks, etc.  That superstrike casting bullet really fit my casting in a storm wind needs.  There's also messing (carefully) with the metal lip on the gibbs danny lures.

Works if not too much weed.  I use a lead buck on the bottom and a teaser on a dropper loop 14" up.  Jig it !   Catch on either.

Edited by pequa11

On 11/29/2021 at 0:39 PM, pequa11 said:

I have drilled holes in cheap Rapala type minnow imitations and inserted spent .177 lead pellets into the hole before capping it off with epoxy.   Didn't seem to ruin the action but I readily admit that until a month ago I never caught a fish from the beach with anything but tins and Tsunami type shad paddletails.    It takes a lot of .177 pellets to add even half an ounce.  I have also stuck a couple of nails into the aforementioned rubber shad paddletails.   My best casts with no wind go about 60 yards, using 20lb braid, and a 9' or 10' rod.  Measured a few casts by pacing them off on the sand, not guessing how far out the second wave was.

Try the unspent ones.........:laugh: