JBDoha

Shipping over-sized one piece rods

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I have a one piece 11.5 foot Lamiglass  rod in NY. I want to get it to Florida. Can’t go USPS, fedex, UPS because it’s over max length.  I tried to get some quotes for shipping as freight, and I’m getting quotes between $650-$750 USD, which is a lot.

I don’t think any airlines allow me to check this as check-in luggage because it’s too long.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

I don't know the correct search term but there are internet sites where private truckers bid on cargo kind of ebay style, lowest bid gets job. They will transport anything. Get a rug tube and put a photo in your add. You never know.

1 hour ago, JBDoha said:

I have a one piece 11.5 foot Lamiglass  rod in NY. I want to get it to Florida. Can’t go USPS, fedex, UPS because it’s over max length.  I tried to get some quotes for shipping as freight, and I’m getting quotes between $650-$750 USD, which is a lot.

I don’t think any airlines allow me to check this as check-in luggage because it’s too long.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

For that price just call a tackle shop ahead and have them make you a new rod. Then just sell it at your tackle shop on commission. 

Not sure if available any longer, or what length restrictions apply.

I had a truck bumper shipped to me years ago via Greyhound bus.  Once the unit arrived at the local terminal, they called me and I picked it up.  Simple process.

10 hours ago, XBMX said:

I don't know the correct search term but there are internet sites where private truckers bid on cargo kind of ebay style, lowest bid gets job. They will transport anything. Get a rug tube and put a photo in your add. You never know.

USHIP.com

Independent truckers aka hot shots will bid on it. Leave it up for a few days. Youll get a decent price.

Only drawback is these guys haul with trailers so sometimes you have to meet them in a parking lot off the highway if your street is narrow .

13 hours ago, chisler said:

Not sure if available any longer, or what length restrictions apply.

I had a truck bumper shipped to me years ago via Greyhound bus.  Once the unit arrived at the local terminal, they called me and I picked it up.  Simple process.

This should be the best way with bus to transfer fron NY to Florida.

Greyhound won’t work, unfortunately.

“Size: The maximum weight per package is 100 pounds. The maximum dimensions that we can accommodate are 82″ L x 47″ W x 29″ H.”