JBDoha

Shipping over-sized one piece rods

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I have a one piece 11.5 foot Lamiglass  rod in NY. I want to get it to Florida. Can’t go USPS, fedex, UPS because it’s over max length.  I tried to get some quotes for shipping as freight, and I’m getting quotes between $650-$750 USD, which is a lot.

 

I don’t think any airlines allow me to check this as check-in luggage because it’s too long.

 

Anyone have any suggestions?

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know the correct search term but there are internet sites where private truckers bid on cargo kind of ebay style, lowest bid gets job. They will transport anything. Get a rug tube and put a photo in your add. You never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JBDoha said:

I have a one piece 11.5 foot Lamiglass  rod in NY. I want to get it to Florida. Can’t go USPS, fedex, UPS because it’s over max length.  I tried to get some quotes for shipping as freight, and I’m getting quotes between $650-$750 USD, which is a lot.

 

I don’t think any airlines allow me to check this as check-in luggage because it’s too long.

 

Anyone have any suggestions?

 

Thanks.

For that price just call a tackle shop ahead and have them make you a new rod. Then just sell it at your tackle shop on commission. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Not sure if available any longer, or what length restrictions apply.

I had a truck bumper shipped to me years ago via Greyhound bus.  Once the unit arrived at the local terminal, they called me and I picked it up.  Simple process.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, XBMX said:

I don't know the correct search term but there are internet sites where private truckers bid on cargo kind of ebay style, lowest bid gets job. They will transport anything. Get a rug tube and put a photo in your add. You never know.

USHIP.com

Independent truckers aka hot shots will bid on it. Leave it up for a few days. Youll get a decent price.

Only drawback is these guys haul with trailers so sometimes you have to meet them in a parking lot off the highway if your street is narrow .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, chisler said:

 Not sure if available any longer, or what length restrictions apply.

I had a truck bumper shipped to me years ago via Greyhound bus.  Once the unit arrived at the local terminal, they called me and I picked it up.  Simple process.

 

 

This should be the best way with bus to transfer fron NY to Florida.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greyhound won’t work, unfortunately.

 

“Size: The maximum weight per package is 100 pounds. The maximum dimensions that we can accommodate are 82″ L x 47″ W x 29″ H.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.