jetty eddy

As the bass get smaller on the tail end of the run....

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Does anyone downsize to shorter(6-7ft) and faster rods with up to maybe 1/2oz small lures? I think it's better than just catching and dragging the fish in on larger gear.I like to but there is always that bigger straggler around that surprises you.

2 hours ago, jetty eddy said:

Does anyone downsize to shorter(6-7ft) and faster rods with up to maybe 1/2oz small lures? I think it's better than just catching and dragging the fish in on larger gear.I like to but there is always that bigger straggler around that surprises you.

I switch to carp/salmon style rods in the 9’ range.  Still have some length to them but much lighter than your average surf rod of the same length.   

37 mins ago, Callmefish said:

Stop fishing for stripers december 1.

Even though it’s super fun and can be crazy productive, but it’s just what I do.

No good reason or even a reason, just because its December 1? No logic? Not for me. See you in the spring, maybe you should cease spring fishing on May 21, why not? 

11 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

No good reason or even a reason, just because its December 1? No logic? Not for me. See you in the spring, maybe you should cease spring fishing on May 21, why not? 

Nothing wrong with that.  I used to go until ice was on the guides in late december.   

now i fish smarter in the fall.   

6 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

Ha ha, my bad man I meesed up that post.

I meant to say that I stop fishing december 1.

Not to stop fishing december first.

I about flew off the handle on your talking about how I didn’t shove my opinion down anyone’s throat. But what I wrote was quite literally that. 

sorry about the mixup there.

I meant to type:

I stop fishing for stripers december 1.

Even though it’s super fun and can be crazy productive, but it’s just what I do.

I’ll leave the original post unedited so the thread makes sense, and accept that blast you gave me too, it was deserved.

I’d get pissed at me too for saying that.

9 mins ago, Goldy said:

Nothing wrong with that.  I used to go until ice was on the guides in late december.   

now i fish smarter in the fall.   

I forgot the letter “I” and completely changed the context of my post. That was my bad, lol

13 mins ago, Callmefish said:

I forgot the letter “I” and completely changed the context of my post. That was my bad, lol

Oh…. Well im done until spring.  

4 hours ago, jetty eddy said:

8-8.5' steelhead rods.  1/2 oz bucktails, 1/2 oz jigs w/plastic, etc.

1 min ago, Slacker said:

8-8.5' steelhead rods.  1/2 oz bucktails, 1/2 oz jigs w/plastic, etc.

You'll handle fish to 40" on that on an open sand beach... maybe bigger even.

I have one session coming hopefully this week. That’ll be the 9’ medium 3/4 - 3.5 surf stick. After that, any other session will be on the black hole Suzuki special 1002 1/2 - 2. Single hook bucktails & jigs almost exclusively except for a magdarter or two with just a front belly hook. (Swivel & cut hook or two split rings.)

Personally, I don’t wanna go all the way to trout gear because I like to get them quickly back on their way and me back to trying to catch the next one. 

one thing I have noticed over the last five years is that straggler bigguns tend to be by themselves. I haven’t hooked one of those fish myself but several times I have been in a spread out grouping where one got caught & released. Whereas the standard December schoolies come in groups of similar sized fish - usually within 3-4” of each other. 

13 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

I sold my 10' rod and my 11' bait rods since I thought I wouldn't go on the beach much. Now I just use an 8' MH the whole season since it is all I have.

MC55 Mike has probably caught more stripers in one season than I have in my life. Looks like he uses 7’ rods most of the time. Maybe an 8 or 9 on occasion. 

I prefer 8 - 9 with touch & backbone. The Shimano I have used to have more touch before the minivan played a game of “just the tip.”