pattycakes

Must read books for a new Surfcaster

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

You need to know about the fish, about the science of where they live, about the food they eat, about the traditions and art of the sport, and - lastly - the tactics of catching them.  Here ya go.

IMG_3735.JPG.ffc6ca486209adedf4317c543c279dd0.JPG

38 mins ago, Joe Paranee said:

I like Skinners stuff 

Skinner is a bit of an anal lunatic, but he writes and explains in an way that makes the stuff easy to understand, unlike some others. Season on the Edge is a great overview book that gets you excited to fish. Fishing the Bucktail is another great book.

1 hour ago, li_bass_hunter said:

Or you can just just go out and fish. Nothing is better than time on the water 

That's true if you have at least some idea of what you are doing and when you should do it.  If you don't, trial and error is an expensive teacher and the class drags on for a long, long time.

1 hour ago, li_bass_hunter said:

Read Zeno's 2 books over the Winter.....  Then follow this advice !!

Daignaults Striper Surf and Lou Tabourys Fly Fishing for Stripers, he kinda' explains the habits of a striped bass. Nothing learns like you like some real fishing though.

3 hours ago, Slacker said:

That's true if you have at least some idea of what you are doing and when you should do it.  If you don't, trial and error is an expensive teacher and the class drags on for a long, long time.

I found this in spades. If you're getting nothing you don't learn much because there's 1000 things you could be doing wrong. I once saw some folks come down to an inside beach with snapper poppers in May. They weren't going to learn much without some advice.

5 hours ago, li_bass_hunter said:

Agreed but the more that I could learn when I cant get on the water and why the bass are related to certain areas/ for what reason the more that you learn from that time on the water