squidder 329

Backing Plate

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Looking for a little guidance on backing plates. I recently acquired a 16' Carolina Skiff on which I want to install two line chocks and a six inch cleat. Not quite sure where to get stainless in small pieces and was wondering if I could substitute another material. The top deck is bolted to the the gunnel and bolts are accessible  from the outside of the boat. The cleat will be seldom used in anchoring and the chock will be used for anchoring and for berthing the boat. I was thinking of Teflon backed with washer and nut. 

Personally, I'd use aluminum 1/4" flat stock for backing. It's much easier to drill than stainless and cheaper too. You can probably find some cheap at a local welding or machine shop. The fiberglass will give way before a piece of aluminum will.

ReeferRob, if he uses stainless screws any problem with using an aluminum backer plate?  Just thinking dissimilar metals causing corrosion ??  Maybe use a piece of starboard??

1 hour ago, ReeferRob said:

Personally, I'd use aluminum 1/4" flat stock for backing. It's much easier to drill than stainless and cheaper too. You can probably find some cheap at a local welding or machine shop. The fiberglass will give way before a piece of aluminum will.

Make a trip to the scrap yard that is where l get whatever l want.

1 hour ago, 27conch said:

ReeferRob, if he uses stainless screws any problem with using an aluminum backer plate?  Just thinking dissimilar metals causing corrosion ??  Maybe use a piece of starboard??

Use nickel never seize even a good heave weight grease will do.

Thanks for the reply's. I did look up using aluminum and stainless and there "can" be a reaction. Although what I read grease would help, mixing soap, salt water and air may be added factor to make that happen. I have a West Marine locally and I'll check out the starboard I think that may be the answer. Thanks guys. :th:

Just saw HD and Lowes carry it as well.

Edited by squidder 329

17 hours ago, 27conch said:

Above the water I don't think that there would be much of an issue. Below water, year, there'd be an ass whoopin' handed out to the aluminum. If he can find some stainless go ahead, but aluminum is usually easier to source. And definitely use a nickel anti seize.

Is the anti seize a galvanic inhibitor which also keeps the nut from locking up or both? When I googled stainless and aluminum it warned not to use without a barrier such as anti seize. 

If it's a steel bolt threaded into a steel nut with an aluminum backing plate it shouldn't be a problem. 

Steel bolts into a threaded aluminum hole such as (Ford) steel starter mount bolts into aluminum bell housing was a big time problem for me.

Way overthinking this. You are discussing spreading the loads on a chock and a cleat on a 16' Carolina.... Not talking about a crane or a motor on an offshore fishing boat that might actually need to be pulled apart...  Use a nylon washer if you are really worried about isolating the different materials, but not necessary in my view.