F1SH

Spinfisher VI 4500 question

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Absolutely. That’s an issue all Penn reels have unless it’s a model that is already advertised as manual. Just take out the lever arm thing and you’re good to go though. Only thing about the spinfisher is the line roller bearing craps out and gets loud really quickly. Best to have a few spare bearings on hand 

Honestly I’ve had more accidental bail closings on the Slammer than the Spinfisher’s. As the guy above said it’s easy to convert over to manual if you’d like.

I have multiple SSVI and Slammer3’s, and never had a premature bail closure on any of them. I never converted any of them to manual either. I guess i’m just lucky.

8 hours ago, F1SH said:

Looking to pull the trigger on one with a Black Friday sale. For the people who own the bailed version, do you have any issues with premature bail closures?

Mind to share where you get the god deal?

15 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

Absolutely. That’s an issue all Penn reels have unless it’s a model that is already advertised as manual. Just take out the lever arm thing and you’re good to go though. Only thing about the spinfisher is the line roller bearing craps out and gets loud really quickly. Best to have a few spare bearings on hand 

Nailed it!  I have several Spinfisher VI from 2500 to 8500.  Have beat the crap out of one 4500 in particular and she keeps on ticking day after day.  I remove the bail flip right out of the package out of preference more than anything and also hit it with some additional oil and grease if necessary.  Line roller gets loud quick even with regular oil, $2.50 every winter for a new bearing and bushing isn't the end of the world.  I DO NOT wash my reels after use, I spray reel guard a couple times a year.

I have never had a unexpected bail closure on my spinfisher vi 4500. I’ve only had it since July but I fish it 2-3 times a week casting lures for 2-3 hours each trip.  I also had 3500 and 4500 Spinfisher v for about 5 years and never had a unexpected bail closure.  I also never had a line roller act up. But I always rinse my reals immediately after every trip and disassemble and lube the line roller every 2 weeks or so when I I’m using the reels.