Teaser Time?

Rate this topic

Buckscorider

Did well last night with a crappy teaser I tied on the garage vice. 

After dark they were not hitting the plug, only the teaser.

Theres been several nights that I know I would have skunked without one.

Anybody have any teaser stories, tips or want to show what they use?

20211127_160132.jpg

Crushed barbs save fish, keep that rod bent! 

Not sure there are any teaser tips that I can offer.  Biggest help would be how people rig them.  Best teaser story was Tony Stetzko's world record bass from the surf back in the day.  He and his buddies were on a school of BIG bass for days, but caught very few.  So one night he ties on a teaser and the rest is history.  Turns out these BIG fish were all keyed on very small sand eels and wanted nothing else.  The teaser was a perfect match.  Here are some that I use and what I tie on is all dependent on what bait is around.  Only time I don't fish a teaser is when using poppers or spooks,  everything else gets a teaser.

teaser3.jpg

sandeels.JPG

teasers.JPG

I haven't tied one on yet because most of my fish the last week have been coming on the outside of the bar and I don't want to sacrifice any casting distance.

The only interesting thing I have to say is those teasers are absolutely perfect when fluke fishing. Seems like everyone uses a bare hook but I always use these instead. Super sharp. Ain't nothing coming undone when ya stick em in the face with one of those babies.

6 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

I haven't tied one on yet because most of my fish the last week have been coming on the outside of the bar and I don't want to sacrifice any casting distance.

Good point, I had to use an extra heavy SS sinking popper to get the teaser out there the other night. 

20 hours ago, 27conch said:

Not sure there are any teaser tips that I can offer.  Biggest help would be how people rig them.  Best teaser story was Tony Stetzko's world record bass from the surf back in the day.  He and his buddies were on a school of BIG bass for days, but caught very few.  So one night he ties on a teaser and the rest is history.  Turns out these BIG fish were all keyed on very small sand eels and wanted nothing else.  The teaser was a perfect match.  Here are some that I use and what I tie on is all dependent on what bait is around.  Only time I don't fish a teaser is when using poppers or spooks,  everything else gets a teaser.

teaser3.jpg

sandeels.JPG

teasers.JPG

These are super nice. Would love to hear about different rigging. 

I just use a loop on 30 or 40# mono.

Speaking of giants I was on a boat last year jigging some big big bass and my buddy had a teaser on for some reason.

Sure enough, double header and both broke off. They were on sand eels and took the diamond jig and teaser.

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

I have been lobbing my bucktails too far, at night.

I was fishing Friday night, low tide and the bass were on the other side of the bar so maybe not lobbing too far?

We had deep water in the trough (7-8 feet) but bites, all were at the end of the cast. 

Did you have a teaser on :)

2 hours ago, hobobob said:

Not yet. Bait is bunker/peanuts, wind at your back, they shouldn't be that far, again at night. Bucktail is just weighted flies. Finess at its best.

Never thought of it that way. 

I need to throw more bucktails...

Thanks on the teaser like.  My old Iphone takes pretty crappy photos so these actually look better in person. :)  You also won't find the orange grizzly one in any store..:howdy:  I don't use a mono loop at the moment to rig my teaser.  I use a tactical clip attached to my barrel swivel.  This way it never tangles or fouls and I can remove or change in an instant.  It looks like this. 7" Stetzko Needlefish and teaser

IMG_1461.JPG

IMG_1460.JPG

Edited by 27conch
content