Old friend retired today

Rate this topic

JimK

After over 15 years of dunking, sand blasting, being dropped on rocks, thousands of fish, including my PB, it's time to retire you my old friend..you have served me well.  But now, much like my own body, things are in need of constant maintenance and you are failing at inopportune times.. perhaps I will spend some time this winter and reincarnate you as a kayak reel..

20211127_134729.jpg

"Russian War Ship.. go f*#k yourself"

That reel looks new, have it serviced by someone capable and you'll get another 15 years out of it, maybe a $50 bill and that should cover any parts that may be worn. 

Or at least hang it where you can see it, its worth the memories. I have a needle (unpainted) made by a 90 year old about 30 years ago, its not much to admire in appearance, and I've never fished it, it just brings back the memory of him so I leave it where it hangs, RIP Newt.

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

4 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

That reel looks new, have it serviced by someone capable and you'll get another 15 years out of it, maybe a $50 bill and that should cover any parts that may be worn. 

Or at least hang it where you can see it, its worth the memories. I have a needle (unpainted) made by a 90 year old about 30 years ago, its not much to admire in appearance, and I've never fished it, it just brings back the memory of him so I leave it where it hangs, RIP Newt.

I've serviced its myself exclusively over the years.. I'm pretty sure new drag washers and possibly new drag knob assembly will solve the problem.. but right now it's become a headache more easily relieved by purchasing a new reel.  I'm sure I will resurrect the 550ssg over the winter 

Edited by JimK

"Russian War Ship.. go f*#k yourself"