BrokeOff

One Day Keys Option

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I’ll be in Duck Key just north of Marathon from about the 12-17th of December. Any suggestions on what I could do for a day of fishing? I plan to hit some spots around the resort on paddle board and maybe some early morning wade spots. I’ll probably get a day to grab the car and go anywhere from KW to Biscayne with a guide. I’ve fished KW several times and Biscayne once. Any suggestions on heading south to KW? Other lower Keys? Stay around Marathon/Islamorada? Key Largo? Biscayne? Can I shoot over to the Everglades from Islamorada?

Thanks

edit:  I’ll have one full day to go out with a guide.

Edited by BrokeOff

Paddle board? Not sure. Kayak yes. I would look for mangrove island sandy areas that on low tide are pretty much dry, Get to an island just before incoming , exit your kayak and look for bonefish on permit coming up onto the flats . Bayside from Islamorada to Long key bridge.early am or setting sun best, :rav:

I’ve had some success fishing in the kayak at no nome key in big pine. You can rent one from Bill Keogh right by the bridge. Some sweet padding and lots of fish options. The bridge itself is a honey hole. If the wind blows it’s not easy fly fishing without an anchor or a pedal type kayak. He also offers boat charters to the back country or ferry you to areas to kayak fish. Very interesting personality with lots of local knowledge. I can’t tell you all my other spots, sorry. It has taken me many many trips to find these tough to find areas. Bill has many spots, a lifetimes worth. Good luck keep us informed on your trip.

Oh ya if you want to have a blast try the Marathon Lady if you want an adventure. Cheap fun, run to the reef and catch grunts, snappers and who knows what. I have never been on a party boat but it was a goof for a half day.

Also sorry not to giveaway my spots learned. If time there’s a really nice fly shop Old English fly Shop on Summerland. If you hire a guide I personally fish upper keys as I mentioned. You might find a short guide for permit, maybe bones, Don’t look thru outfitters, do your own search , Lots of guides will taking customers for snapper, barracuda or trout. Don’t be afraid to ask price, it’s quick decision after visiting friends. When it’s slow there “ there’s no going rate”. Google in 5-6 , see whose open,species, time on water, half or full day. Permit would be a good choice, :rav:

7 mins ago, RAW said:

Also sorry not to giveaway my spots learned. If time there’s a really nice fly shop Old English fly Shop on Summerland. If you hire a guide I personally fish upper keys as I mentioned. You might find a short guide for permit, maybe bones, Don’t look thru outfitters, do your own search , Lots of guides will taking customers for snapper, barracuda or trout. Don’t be afraid to ask price, it’s quick decision after visiting friends. When it’s slow there “ there’s no going rate”. Google in 5-6 , see whose open,species, time on water, half or full day. Permit would be a good choice, :rav:

Thanks for the info.  Not looking for spots.  Going to take the board out very close the the resort and just look for anything fishy.

Now I’m mostly looking for a good direction to head within the Keys.  I’m heavy on guide refs for the lower Keys, but not so much middle and upper.  If I end up doing middle/upper I have some guys that can point me in the right direction for contacts.

2 hours ago, turkaholic said:

Oh ya if you want to have a blast try the Marathon Lady if you want an adventure. Cheap fun, run to the reef and catch grunts, snappers and who knows what. I have never been on a party boat but it was a goof for a half day.

The party boats out of Marathon are fun and you'll catch.

The south (or west) side of Duck has some pretty flats, we used to get bones in there, and the potholes on the ocean side of the highway bridge have been known to hold permit.  The whole stretch along Grassy Key (both sides) is a fun place for barracuda.  RAW's suggestion of Islamorada to Long Key is a good one, and the Highway Flat is fun to wade.