TGIF Harpswell

North of Portland Topwater

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Hey gang,

you’ve heard a bit about my son, who has “the gene” and wants to try to do a little more top water fishing. I have a plug or two, which have not been successful. Looking for some advice for stocking stuffers. We’re in the New Meadows, so hoping for some midcoast advice. Any smallish top waters you’d recommend?

thanks!

Edited by TGIF Harpswell

The el-cheapo Rebel Jumpin' Minnow has always been reliable for me. Definitely on the small side, more like a spook than a pencil or popper. 

My favorite plug of all is the Redfin. Swam really slow so it just wakes on the surface it's essentially a top water.

We have landed hundreds of stripers and blues in the New Meadows on the east side and down to Casco Bay over the years on Redfins. 

Doesn't require a lot of presentation. Just keep the line tight and swim it just fast enough to wiggle. It's the wake that gets em.

Spooks are another favorite and comes in all sizes down to tiny freshwater size.

The number of species that will hit a spook is limitless. 

The only drawback is it can take a little practice to master the "walk the dog" presentation that is so deadly. 

I’ll second the yo zuri hydro pencil. Cheap, casts a mile, and easy to work- use it like a pencil fast or slow, or walk the dog with it.

Not exactly topwater, but I highly recommend some albie snax in pearl. They are great when fish are visibly feeding but still a little reluctant to take a topwater, and they cast unbelievably well for how small they are. Rig it unweighted on a swimbait hook, and work it slow with almost constant small twitches. 

3/4 oz Creek Chub Striper Strike #2500, over 500 Midcoast stripers per season since 2015.  

It doesn’t float, which is KEY!!  When a fish swirls at the lure, and doesn’t make contact, STOP the retrieve for an instant. 9 times out of 10 the bass will come back grab it, thinking it’s a disoriented fish. They will not do that with floating poppers. 

Best of all, they cost less than $8 a pop. I like that considering I go through ~ 2 dozen a season.  They tend to wear out after 40 - 50 fish.  I scored 10 dozen last fall @ $3 a pop!!!

You'll know you're around Chez Roccus when you see everyone tossing these.  The entire estuary has converted to these.

Edited by Roccus7

Geez guys, thanks for the free flow of suggestions, I really appreciate it. 

any of you guys swap out trebles for singles?     

while I would normally ask for the sake of the fish, I am currently thinking about the 9 year old fisherman, and his old man (me!) 

4 mins ago, TGIF Harpswell said:

Geez guys, thanks for the free flow of suggestions, I really appreciate it. 

any of you guys swap out trebles for singles?     

while I would normally ask for the sake of the fish, I am currently thinking about the 9 year old fisherman, and his old man (me!) 

Late in the season I'll swap out my tail treble bucktail for a single one on the Striper Strikes, because that's the one that usually is deep hooked come August...

21 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

3/4 oz Creek Chub Striper Strike #2500, over 500 Midcoast stripers per season since 2015.  

It doesn’t float, which is KEY!!  When a fish swirls at the lure, and doesn’t make contact, STOP the retrieve for an instant. 9 times out of 10 the bass will come back grab it, thinking it’s a disoriented fish. They will not do that with floating poppers. 

Best of all, they cost less than $8 a pop. I like that considering I go through ~ 2 dozen a season.  They tend to wear out after 40 - 50 fish.  I scored 10 dozen last fall @ $3 a pop!!!

You'll know you're around Chez Roccus when you see everyone tossing these.  The entire estuary has converted to these.

This.....My go to since Al Gags schoolie popper supply ran out. 

7 hours ago, Sea Of Atlas said:

Rapala Xrap Twitchin Minnow comes with inlines. You could always get a lip gripper and a set of pliers of his own if you plan to let him handle the fish himself. 

Yes, just need to remember to tether them to his belt… kerrr-plunk :)

i usually manage the netting and landing, but he’s getting there. Even a moderately sized boat feels small when you have a 9 year old casting 6 hook points. You should see him with the pogey snagger. :)