onthefly

Kaku wahoo manual power pole build

13 posts in this topic

Built this bracket for my kaku kayak. Made from 3/4 inch hpde. Just need to order MGS pole and run my deployment cord up to seat. The mount used the existing hole used for the electric power pole micro anchor but those cost 700$ I built mine for about 90$ also did my son's so that's about a 1200 savings

IMG_20211127_092850873_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211127_092844386_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211127_092839345_HDR.jpg

Didn't need to the kaku comes with mounted well nuts inbeded in the plastic with hole pattern set up for the power pole micro anchor. I just had to make a cardboard templet . They are 5/16-18 nuts. More and more kayak companies are building them this way. One of the reasons I chose this one but the price of that power pole made me want to build one

I will add pulley to mount and connect cord to last 6 inches of pole then run cord along outer edge of kayak up to cleat near seat. I can run cord below deck similar to wire for rudder or top deck no drill using eye bolts mounted on gear track maybe use 3 of them for an idea look at yak gadgets pole mount which you could buy instead of making. When my pole comes in I will put it all together and make a shot video.

4 hours ago, onthefly said:

I will add pulley to mount and connect cord to last 6 inches of pole then run cord along outer edge of kayak up to cleat near seat.

From this description raising is done with a pulley & lowering is done by gravity...

I'm envisioning this pole dropping down till it hits something & stopping, never really sticking the bottom....

On windy days I use a pole on a leash with a sliding collar for water depth adjustment, I know from experience this pole NEEDS to be stuck in the bottom to keep me from drifting off my spot..

pole.jpg.6acc2e883a38d1422bdf01d08a73800b.jpg.7a71c909161653d157e08f06a2df6ea0.jpg.592922f23c949c6e6818a0b6e69836e0.jpg.e49a80de6087648f7789acb8f06507c0.jpg

end.jpg.c328e5ba3ca42afc1c41967576523c85.jpg.63568a6ab2992706b31744222eed9228.jpg.e95813e46f56634f18a8bc25140f1d9a.jpg.60e83054038b39e9ac3eda6d63a6284e.jpg

Yeah I could drive the pole through the anchor trolley ring deep but this system must work reasonably well because companies are making and selling them ie  yak gadget, river sticks, etc on a mud bottom I think the wt of the pole will bury it deep enough not to move you. 

Hmmmm, Im skeptical but than again, I'm always skeptical of everything, That mindset comes with the business I'm in. ;)

Go look at that  "the river stick by bernie stewart" video .... theres footage of him deploying it at about 1 minute in

Look from 55 seconds on thru to just over a minute... the guys sitting in current, he could be off to the side in an eddy with out the stick even deployed & he's completely stationary, he should be drifting, looks like hes already anchored up even before he drops it in, there's absolutely no movement or drifting of his kayak at all before deployment, that looks suspicious to me  :dismay:

I hope it works for you & I wish you success with the project :th: 

Edited by BillZ

The river Styx guy started his version on the Susquehanna river, he now makes them in Florida I was going to buy his but built my on version. The marina I bought my kayak from sells them through their store. I'm inclined to think the system does work since this is a big time kayak dealer selling 6 or 7 brands of kayaks, they seam like reputable people. It worth a shot plus there are other people on utube building them as well , I'll know in a week or two when I finished up building and give honest opinion

Edited by onthefly

19 hours ago, onthefly said:

The river Styx guy started his version on the Susquehanna river, he now makes them in Florida I was going to buy his but built my on version. The marina I bought my kayak from sells them through their store. I'm inclined to think the system does work since this is a big time kayak dealer selling 6 or 7 brands of kayaks, they seam like reputable people. It worth a shot plus there are other people on utube building them as well , I'll know in a week or two when I finished up building and give honest opinion

I hear ya on that, maybe it’s the way the pole is held, having a fixed point where the pole slides up & down might be the key to what gives it its holding power?

Maybe you don’t really need too much ground penetration when it’s held that way?  I have zero experience with power pole use, this is all just conjecture …I think different bottom compositions will be better than others with soft, muddy bottoms being best & rocky, sandy bottoms not as good, I think the weight & rigidity of the pole will play a role as well.

The other thing that jumps out at me is that with this type of system you can only fish down current, Fish face into the current, you want to fish up current & work it back, IMO, casting down current & reeling back is a good way to lower your success rate for the day, anchoring that way is not  the best river fishing option IMO.

Now if you’re talking shallow lakes & ponds, I can see this pole set up being much more useful, river stick? Like I said, for a river you’re facing the wrong way….

I mostly fly fish in the Susquehanna river I often wet wade do to shallowness. I usually do a across and down presentation. I see myself anchoring in the shallows or island and walking around. If the current is to heavy I have a traditional anchor on trolley. This system does allow me to drift from hole to hole quickly without dealing with the anchor and rope. In a lake cituation I mostly would be in the lilly pads throwing top water frog or soft plastic on my bait caster

1 hour ago, onthefly said:

I see myself anchoring in the shallows or island and walking around. If the current is to heavy I have a traditional anchor on trolley. This system does allow me to drift from hole to hole quickly without dealing with the anchor and rope.

Fwiw; When i do use an anchor set up & want to move from spot to spot I just keep it hanging over the side cinched up on the zig-zag cleat, it raises & drops quickly, I don't even bring it into the kayak between moves...… not really an issue  for me. :why: