breezybass

lure list

19 posts in this topic

i would like to do some fresh water fishing this year for smallmouth and largemouth bass, northern pike, yellow perch ,What would be the  names and weight of some go to lures to start me out 

First question is where/what sort of water you'll be fishing.

You can catch just about anything with a jig head and Gulp trailer, changing the size of the jig/bait to match the intended fish, but that's not the best answer for every situation.  1/16 oz head and 2" Gulp minnow for panfish, 1/4 oz head and 4" for the bigger stuff would be a start.

Water temperature, water color, water depth, structure type all plays a role.

A collection of soft plastic swimbaits, jigs, and jerkbaits will give you a start with the bass and pike.  For the perch, my choices would be a #1 Mepps Aglia spinner, a 1/4 oz Dardevle, and a small jig.

52 mins ago, breezybass said:

i would like to do some fresh water fishing this year for smallmouth and largemouth bass, northern pike, yellow perch ,What would be the  names and weight of some go to lures to start me out 

you should start today.

the best fishing for eyes is now till ice and when is good ice you ice fish for them.

now cast off rocks or beach with HJ#14 or P10 smitwick.

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

First question is where/what sort of water you'll be fishing.

You can catch just about anything with a jig head and Gulp trailer, changing the size of the jig/bait to match the intended fish, but that's not the best answer for every situation.  1/16 oz head and 2" Gulp minnow for panfish, 1/4 oz head and 4" for the bigger stuff would be a start.

Water temperature, water color, water depth, structure type all plays a role.

A collection of soft plastic swimbaits, jigs, and jerkbaits will give you a start with the bass and pike.  For the perch, my choices would be a #1 Mepps Aglia spinner, a 1/4 oz Dardevle, and a small jig.

Mostly  lakes and ponds in the ADIRONDACKS 

Agree with CW that water/conditions being key... dirty water pond vs. big deep lake fishing for trophy bass are very different games (both fun).

TW doing 20% off store wide right now if you wanna stock up on freshwater stuff..

Here are some go-to's for me for largemouth:

-Texas rigged soft plastics; varied weights and profiles here offers an ocean of versatility (check out the brand Geecrack)

-Jerkbaits (for waking up schools and/or hitting key portions of mid water column)

-Ned rig (finesse, when you need a bite)

-Punching rigs and topwater frogs (summer time)

-Moving baits (spinnerbait and chatterbait) - for finding fish in early to mid fall

-Jigs and hard swimbaits.. these two bait classes are effective but generally for prioritizing size over quantity

-**If you plan on winter fishing then hair jigs for sure, especially for smallies... lot's of skill transference from SW bucktail fishing

Have fun.

I always did great on countdown Rapala and jointed Rapala in the ADK.  

Jig & Gulp

Spoons

Spinners. 

Spinnerbaits 

Size and weight depends on too many variables. 

Also. Live bait. 

On 11/27/2021 at 11:55 AM, breezybass said:

Mostly  lakes and ponds in the ADIRONDACKS 

Fishing in that part of the world, which I tend to do either early (May/June) or late (September/October) in the year, I'll reiterate the comments on Gulp--it's all my wife usually uses when we take our canoe up there, and she catches a little of everything on the stuff, from panfish to bass and pickerel, along with some so-far smaller pike.

For smallmouth when they're in the rocky shallows, I've found the Smithwick Rogue to be a productive jerkbait.  Also plastic swimbaits in various colors.  We caught most of our largemouth on swimbaits as well.

Most of our yellow perch were on the #1 Mepps Aglia (silver blade/squirrel tail).

Cold water pike seemed to like a dark bucktail (black back/perch color sides) trailing a 6-inch plastic worm fished slow near the bottom.  Also plastic swimbaits.  Other folks catch them on many other things, too.

Walleye have not been kind to me.  Caught most either trollling swimming plugs on a downrigger, or slow-trolling worms on bottom-bouncers.  But I have caught relatively few.

One thing I've really grown to love is small jig head (1/16 or 1/32) tipped with a 1in GULP Alive under a slip bobber.   Ultra light rod/reel. 4lb mono. 

My best catches are 3lb LMB, 22in pickerel, a bluegill so big I lipped with my thumb. 

I usually used minnow but just got some 1in leeches and did well on them. 

Get yourself a set of mepps aglia silver spoon  red/white sticker on the spoon with a squirrel tail dressed treble. 

00 to #5

Pike love the #5

Smallmouth will also hammer them regularly. 

The smaller ones work on trout and pan fish

Smaller rooster tails also will bag alot of trout and panfish.

I've used a few lures from the salt.

Crappie hit a white or yellow twister tail of <= 3". Original and split tail.

1/4 - 3/8 Berkley half head jigs.

Twister tails 3 -5" with same 3/8  oz heads for walleye. Cloudy high water and ill use a chartreuse head and 5" yellow tail.

Deep water..epoxy jigs for Lakers.

Windy resovoir days has me shore fish and use weightless zoom flukes with 4/0 worm hook for smallies. I like the lizard and bug rubber on jigs also for them.

I'll fish albi snax when I need to reach something I cant get to by land or boat. Large mouth blast these. I also got cut off several times because of the small population of pike in the lake.... 

Watching the slack run while twitching unweighted soft plastic is a pisser. 

Pretty much any jerkbaits in the 1/4 to 1/2 oz range paddle tails in the 3-4 inch range along with some spoons or rooster tails will catch pretty much anything and you can experiment from there.