codfish

Black seabass fishing in the Canal

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Just read the article about fishing the Canal in the Fisherman Magazine, it talks about catching Black Seabass, just curious is there a seabass population worth targeting in the Canal? 

56 mins ago, codfish said:

Just read the article about fishing the Canal in the Fisherman Magazine, it talks about catching Black Seabass, just curious is there a seabass population worth targeting in the Canal? 

Sea bass fishing inside the canal has been a happening event for most of my life. Some years it is better or worst then others Only a select few have found the time to search them out as they do not have the same status as Striped Bass. The challenge is there , but you need to have patients like when fluke fish inside the canal . You will need to learn the best times and locations, as for the most they are selective where they may set up for the summer months to be caught. various baits and jigs will work . In my opinion every species is worth targeting that is active at that time of the year and you know may be sitting in some hole that will hold them long enough to catch. Many times all you will catch will be under sized ones and then with out rhyme or reason ones of good size will set up and worth every struggle they may give you, in attempting to bring it home or release it back for another time. Peace and Prayers

Codfish,

If people are catching any amount of black sea bass in the canal it's the best kept secret on the Cape. :laugh:.  From May-Oct I watched people bait fishing on the west end. Many were knowledgeable. 

I saw them catch buckets of legal scup, some tog, even a few schoolies.  If I saw 10 legal black sea bass all season that would be a lot.

on my most recent trip to the canal in august, i caught a ~20 inch black sea bass on a white bucktail with a keitech paddle tail. one of three fish i caught on that trip (others were a gator blue and a schoolie striper). needless to say i was very surprised when it came up out of the water! 

11 mins ago, surfstryker said:

on my most recent trip to the canal in august, i caught a ~20 inch black sea bass on a white bucktail with a keitech paddle tail. one of three fish i caught on that trip (others were a gator blue and a schoolie striper). needless to say i was very surprised when it came up out of the water! 

The fisherman Magazine has a picture of a guy with a 52 inch bass he caught while scup fishing with squid strips.

4 hours ago, codfish said:

"BIG DITCH DREAMIN" article name

2 mins ago, codfish said:

The fisherman Magazine has a picture of a guy with a 52 inch bass he caught while scup fishing with squid strips.

And he released the fish promptly and without a photo.

1 min ago, bob_G said:

And he released the fish promptly and without a photo.

"promptly" according to the article yes:eek: But there is a photo, at 52 inches its a monster the world record is only 54 inches

1 min ago, codfish said:

"promptly" according to the article yes:eek: But there is a photo, at 52 inches its a monster the world record is only 54 inches

Really!  I missed the fish by minutes. Everyone was talking about the fish when I drove up.  But they said there was no photo. 

If you saw the hook the guy was using, you wouldn't believe it.

2 mins ago, bob_G said:

Really!  I missed the fish by minutes. Everyone was talking about the fish when I drove up.  But they said there was no photo. 

If you saw the hook the guy was using, you wouldn't believe it.

"SIMON’S SURPRISE

The big girl measured out to an impressive 52 inches before 
a healthy return to the westbound tide."

25 mins ago, VitaminDee said:

Never targeted them in the Canal but did pull in a handful of keepers the past couple seasons.

If you are talking about sea bass , that is one fish you need to actually target at times to be successful inside the canal proper itself. many get caught by accident when fishing on other species. Both Jigs and bait as I posted above will have there moments and not just at slack water. The more larger of the clan like the fast moving current and with out question at times is an unforgotten species , because for what ever reason find themselves inside the moving water after they are done through spawning , chasing bait just like the rest of the fish that feed on Sand eels, crabs , squid and real small mackerel aside of using jigs .  I have even caught them with live eels at times.     They have a very large mouth and when hungry can inhale a good size of bait if that is what you choose to use. Peace and Prayers  

Edited by Angler #1

34 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

If you are talking about sea bass , that is one fish you need to actually target at times to be successful inside the canal proper itself. many get caught by accident when fishing on other species. Both Jigs and bait as I posted above will have there moments and not just at slack water. The more larger of the clan like the fast moving current and with out question at times is an unforgotten species , because for what ever reason find themselves inside the moving water after they are done through spawning , chasing bait just like the rest of the fish that feed on Sand eels, crabs , squid and real small mackerel aside of using jigs .  I have even caught them with live eels at times.     They have a very large mouth and when hungry can inhale a good size of bait if that is what you choose to use. Peace and Prayers  

At that time, I remember I was chunking macs for striper when it hooked itself. My brother who is familiar with the canal was surprised to see a keeper size BSB.