Heavy Seas

How do you fish gliders?

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

I picked up an RM Smith peanut waverer this summer. I’ve tossed it a bit this fall but haven’t connected yet. I typically use a slow steady retrieve and throw in a couple quick cranks here and there.  Another thing I wasn’t sure of is whether it’s more of a night bait or if it produces both day and night. 

How are you guys fishing your gliders?

19 hours ago, Heavy Seas said:

I picked up an RM Smith peanut waverer this summer. I’ve tossed it a bit this fall but haven’t connected yet. I typically use a slow steady retrieve and throw in a couple quick cranks here and there.  Another thing I wasn’t sure of is whether it’s more of a night bait or if it produces both day and night. 

you can have 3 defrent gliders,suspending,sinking slow and sinking fast, all would have defrent style fishing and covering defrent dept.

I have the RM Smith peanut waverer and the full size.  Was catching today on the peanut waverer.  It’s an excellent match for the peanuts out there.  Slow to moderate retrieve.  Don’t reel too fast as the plug will come to the surface, turn sideways and lose its action.  A nice slow retrieve gives it good side to side motion.  You can’t really feel the action unless you have a really sensitive rod and the surf is light.  I usually try to keep moderate tightness on the line.  A couple light twitches here and there.

1 hour ago, dgul said:

I have the RM Smith peanut waverer and the full size.  Was catching today on the peanut waverer.  It’s an excellent match for the peanuts out there.  Slow to moderate retrieve.  Don’t reel too fast as the plug will come to the surface, turn sideways and lose its action.  A nice slow retrieve gives it good side to side motion.  You can’t really feel the action unless you have a really sensitive rod and the surf is light.  I usually try to keep moderate tightness on the line.  A couple light twitches here and there.

I noticed it will come to the surface with any pace on the retrieve. I tried quick sweeps today with my rod pointed down to keep it under the water but all that did was snag peanut bunker. I also tried the very slow methodical retrieve but neither seemed to work. Will keep at it. I did snag one peanut and it was a perfect match size wise. 

I've had a Scabelly large glider for three years and didn't catch on it until yesterday and today.  Slow to moderate retrieve with pause now and then.  Mine floats.  Awesome side to side action.

7 mins ago, Heavy Seas said:

I noticed it will come to the surface with any pace on the retrieve. I tried quick sweeps today with my rod pointed down to keep it under the water but all that did was snag peanut bunker. I also tried the very slow methodical retrieve but neither seemed to work. Will keep at it. I did snag one peanut and it was a perfect match size wise. 

If you’re snagging bait fish you’re definitely going to fast.  Just a steady slow retrieve.  It will feel like it’s not doing anything but the plug will be lazily moving side to side in an S shape.  There is a rhythmic drop in pressure on the line while it’s swimming but like I said it’s really hard to feel.  Ryan’s waverers are slow sink.  Try to go slow and let them get under the schools.  Bass will scoop them up.

On 11/26/2021 at 10:07 PM, Heavy Seas said:

I don't hahahahahahaha. I'm in the same boat as you. I have 2-3 different ones and have not caught a single fish on them, not for lack of trying either. I think I just don't have confidence in them so I end up putting on something else.

If you have a few moments before your next outing try casting it from a back bay dock and watch what it does on a slow steady retrieve.  It should do as suggested, a nice steady sweep gliding back n forth left and right.  They can be hard to feel and sometimes getting a visual of what it does will help with your confidence.  Use a mini right now to match this peanut bonanza. 

^^This. I used to think gliders and lipless plugs did nothing, until they started catching fish. But they have a subtle action, even with a steady retrieve  thats hard to detect.

The first thing I do when I get a glidebait is plop in some water directly in front of me and  guage the sinkrate. Yozuri 3d twitch bait sink abysmally slow for example. So with those I let it sink after a cast, like for a minute or two. They barely drop down, so you can literally twitch them all the way in and just keep your line tight.

something like a savage gear mack stick on the other hand drops like a rock. And figuring out the cadence you need to keep the bait in the area of the water column you want takes a few casts. Also with the heavier ones I really like to drag them across the top water by casting them out and starting the retrieve immediately they have a tendacy to make a better wake them the lighter ones because they stay upright when the nose is out of the water. The lighter ones kind of lay on thier side sometimes. Oddly enough I tend to fish the heavier ones higher in the water column then the lighter ones. Where your rod tip is affects this as well. If I’m dragging a glide bait like its a top water. I’m almost high sticking my rod. If I’m twitching a yo zuri in my rod tip is near the surface of the water.

The jerry audet episode of ********** podcast is an excellent resource. You should give it a listen.

Glide baits turned into my favorite plug to throw, and they taught me how to fish a needle.

@Callmefish is spot on check out the podcast.

gliders are versatile as hell and Ive gotten more fish on them than just about any other bait this season. 
just takes some experimenting honestly. Slow steady then stop and pop the rod or slow with rod sweeps and pauses. With thinner gliders like sebiles Ive done well snapping the rod then letting sit.

picture a wounded peanut darting then pausing then darting again. 
if your glider has long glides, like some musky lures you can just lift the rod reel lower lift again and you should feel it gliding.

and for anyone who doubts glide baits…

5F19839E-B4DE-4609-A3F5-0DD31DF5DA4B.jpeg

FA4AB894-4F7F-4503-B41F-F075478CF738.jpeg

AF671060-A623-4B72-A304-1CC796220012.jpeg