ByronPA

Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Something I look forward to every year, and the extent of my black friday shopping, going to get the Christmas tree. We go to a local tree farm, that opens for one day on Black Friday, then closes for the first week of deer season before reopening for the season.. I've always valued the idea that the owner is willing to give up a substantial amount of money in lost sales so that he can spend the week hunting with his family...

On black friday, they are open from 9 am until dark. But, it's imperative to my girlfriend that we get there by 8 am to make sure no one gets our perfect tree. They only have 10,000 or so to choose from, but she's fairly certain that someone will get the best one before we do. Apparently, judging from the number of people there, she's not the only one that feels that way.. 

After looking at a hundred or so trees, she'll pick one and I'll agree that it's perfect. It's a cut your own place, but there's always a bunch of eager kids running around with chainsaws asking you to let them cut your tree down, hoping for a tip.. The kid that cut our tree down told me he wanted to make enough in tips by noon to be able to buy a used 30-30, get back home and have it sighted in before dark.. I gave a good tip and wished him good luck.    

Any other black friday tree shoppers?

tree1.jpg

tree2.jpg

tree3.jpg

1 hour ago, ByronPA said:

Something I look forward to every year, and the extent of my black friday shopping, going to get the Christmas tree. We go to a local tree farm, that opens for one day on Black Friday, then closes for the first week of deer season before reopening for the season.. I've always valued the idea that the owner is willing to give up a substantial amount of money in lost sales so that he can spend the week hunting with his family...

On black friday, they are open from 9 am until dark. But, it's imperative to my girlfriend that we get there by 8 am to make sure no one gets our perfect tree. They only have 10,000 or so to choose from, but she's fairly certain that someone will get the best one before we do. Apparently, judging from the number of people there, she's not the only one that feels that way.. 

After looking at a hundred or so trees, she'll pick one and I'll agree that it's perfect. It's a cut your own place, but there's always a bunch of eager kids running around with chainsaws asking you to let them cut your tree down, hoping for a tip.. The kid that cut our tree down told me he wanted to make enough in tips by noon to be able to buy a used 30-30, get back home and have it sighted in before dark.. I gave a good tip and wished him good luck.    

Any other black friday tree shoppers?

tree1.jpg

tree2.jpg

tree3.jpg

Balsam Fir?

The farm where we get our tree sent out emails to pick your tree by appointment. On a weekend before Thanksgiving and then cut and pick up closer to Christmas. Got another email that cut trees have arrived and all live trees are sold out. $10 a foot.

Wifey likes to decorate her tree on Thanksgiving at night after we drink and eat. We do a mostly all pink tree in memory of her wonderful Mama. It's sweet. The tree is full of little meaningful ornaments from her family, mine and things weve bought through the years together. 

My wife has lost both her parents now and she broke down in tears, grateful for us and she held me so tight. I lost it. My eyes are all watery now thinking about it. This time of year is amazing in many ways. 

Much love to you and yours this holiday season Byron.

10823.jpeg