MontclairDave

Zodias 6’ 10” MH

11 posts in this topic

Anyone have the Zodias 6’ 10” MH? Looking for another sub-7’ baitcaster for the yak, mostly for single-hook presentations (swim jig, chatterbait, T rigs, spinnerbaits) and light/open-water frogging.

 

Shimano pros seem to think this is the perfect rod for what I am looking for (see vid below). 
 

got some feedback on another site, saying that it’s a bit stiff for a MH but he likes the action for T rigs and jigs. Says the tip will load up, but not exactly “soft.” I’m a bit leery of anything too stiff because I already have Kistler Argon MH 6’ 9’ and it’s way too stiff: doesn’t load up as much as I’d like for accurate casting, skipping, etc.

 

Thanks!!!

 

https://youtu.be/EGXbFJsSRTQ

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 mins ago, MontclairDave said:

Anyone have the Zodias 6’ 10” MH? Looking for another sub-7’ baitcaster for the yak, mostly for single-hook presentations (swim jig, chatterbait, T rigs, spinnerbaits) and light/open-water frogging.

 

Shimano pros seem to think this is the perfect rod for what I am looking for (see vid below). 
 

got some feedback on another site, saying that it’s a bit stiff for a MH but he likes the action for T rigs and jigs. Says the tip will load up, but not exactly “soft.” I’m a bit leery of anything too stiff because I already have Kistler Argon MH 6’ 9’ and it’s way too stiff: doesn’t load up as much as I’d like for accurate casting, skipping, etc.

 

Thanks!!!

 

https://youtu.be/EGXbFJsSRTQ

 

 

I don't know if this is helpful or not, because my Zodias is a spinning model ZDS70MA.  I find the zodias to be a really great rod overall, but compared to the GLF model rod the Zodias has a MUCH faster action that is not as forgiving when you hook a smaller fish.  The Zodias is much more stiff and faster, it bends more at the tip (although it isn't soft at tip) The GLF bends really well at the tip, and loads up toward the middle of the rod.  The GLF feels responsive and fun when you hook a smaller fish under 2lbs, small trout and perch and stuff.  The Zodias is much more of a "lure rod" to me, and I find it better for swimbaits and twitchbaits.  It doesn't keep tension on smaller fish as well as the GLF, but it is lighter, higher quality, and more fun to fish with hard plastics especially.  

 

The short butt on both work great from the Yak.  

Edited by koalaslim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, koalaslim said:

I don't know if this is helpful or not, because my Zodias is a spinning model ZDS70MA.  I find the zodias to be a really great rod overall, but compared to the GLF model rod the Zodias has a MUCH faster action that is not as forgiving when you hook a smaller fish.  The Zodias is much more stiff and faster, it bends more at the tip (although it isn't soft at tip) The GLF bends really well at the tip, and loads up toward the middle of the rod.  The GLF feels responsive and fun when you hook a smaller fish under 2lbs, small trout and perch and stuff.  The Zodias is much more of a "lure rod" to me, and I find it better for swimbaits and twitchbaits.  It doesn't keep tension on smaller fish as well as the GLF, but it is lighter, higher quality, and more fun to fish with hard plastics especially.  

 

The short butt on both work great from the Yak.  

GLF? Do you mean Loomis GLX or GCX? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, MontclairDave said:

What do you like throwing on it? 

For me, it’s my skipping rod for jigs. I love it around docks and brush. It’s a versatile rod, with great sensitivity and backbone. I don’t fish out of a yak, but it shines in tight spaces where casting accuracy is critical. It’s definately one of my favorite in my rotation.

Edited by Mack26

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, Mack26 said:

For me, it’s my skipping rod for jigs. I love it around docks and brush. It’s a versatile rod, with great sensitivity and backbone. I don’t fish out of a yak, but it shines in tight spaces where casting accuracy is critical. It’s definately one of my favorite in my rotation.

I checked the Champion XP on Dobyns site and the only 6’ 10” they have is a Heavy, not MH: The DC 610-4C. Is that the model you have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 mins ago, Mack26 said:

Yes it is Dave, sorry. It’s rated 1/4 to 1 oz. Great rod.

Thank! That model had definitely caught my eye so this is great feedback. Not available on TW right now, so no BF sale. But I can bide my time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got that exact rod and it quickly became my favorite baitcasting rod I own because of how versatile it is.  The tip is a tiny bit stiff but not bad at all I regularly throw the jackall kaera frogs with it and chatters as well with no problems. I’d say once you get about 3/8ths on this rod the tips loads well enough for good accuracy 

Edited by Dinger117

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.