Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HillTop

Wig hair / Kanekalon - update ~5 yrs

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Want to try to get back into doing a little fly tie work in anticipating of being health enough for this spring.      Plenty of fly synthetic types like those available fly shops and others you buy direct from wig or Kanekalon synthetics.   

Since looking for flies that are going to be the larger fly designs, (6" to 8" long),  does anyone prefer what they consider to be better synthetics that avoid the "frizzy" used over time or called as those that tend be less tangled in a mess than others ?   There is a real difference from one kind fly to another that I've seen and curious what everyone might be able to offer to avoid making a mistake and then having to throw them out trying one from another.

Thanks,

HT

Previous info back to 2016.

kanekalon.jpg.3335063fb4f42de0384d367970b59450.jpg

This is a decent Forum to review:

I use mainly Mirror Image for my larger bait fish patterns, 3 inches to 8 inches.  I prep the material by flash blending.  This allows me to incorporate the flash into the pattern and creates a tapered material, so I don't have to trim it to shape.

This is a bunker pattern I tied up a couple of years ago with the Mirror Image.

61a123f0127da_SiliconeBunker_Shad.jpg.affd2c69232b3cea06dfa78746979852.jpg

For my smaller bait fish patterns I've been using Senyo Lazer Dubbing.  I have to pull it apart to get longer pieces but I can tie flies up around 3 inches with it.

P9270303.JPG.d4050eaea7a798eb44d018059890a70d.JPG

This one has two flies.  The larger one is tied with the blended Mirror Image.

The smaller one with the Senyo Lazer Dubbing.

61a1264fbc70b_baitfish1.jpg.426c406f161ad2d3f4bb737dcb74cbbd.jpg

I use Farrar blend in moderate amounts quite a bit, between a stiffer material like Unique Hair or Super Hair for support and maintain profile it works well and behaves for patterns up to 6". Unique Hair clousers are one of my grocery flies. I have draws of synthetic materials and the issue with most of them is that they are too limp so don't hold their shape as well as mat, tangle and fray too easily. Bigger the fly, the stiffer the material needs to be I find.

Edited by JRT

Considering the amount of plastics in the ocean, I'm trying to reduce my use of synthetics, which invariable break off through use.  For long hair I really like Yak for stiffer needs and there are some long goat fibers out there but they are softer.  I've decided for myself that synthetics will only be used for flash, If I can't make the profile I want with naturals I'll have to do without.  

Unfortunately this is a global problem and my efforts won't amount to a fart in a hurricane, but it makes me feel better.  I've seen recently that Patagonia is making clothes from recycled fishing nets, love that!

1 hour ago, Oakman said:

Considering the amount of plastics in the ocean, I'm trying to reduce my use of synthetics, which invariable break off through use.  For long hair I really like Yak for stiffer needs and there are some long goat fibers out there but they are softer.  I've decided for myself that synthetics will only be used for flash, If I can't make the profile I want with naturals I'll have to do without.  

Unfortunately this is a global problem and my efforts won't amount to a fart in a hurricane, but it makes me feel better.  I've seen recently that Patagonia is making clothes from recycled fishing nets, love that!

I’m the same way, and that’s the main reason why I take the extra time to tie hollow flies and the like with bucktail over synthetics. Gunnar has a sweet video using polar goat, might be worth a watch as it kinda remedies the softness while maintaining a good profile. 

Oak / Ftyer,

I truly understand with no issues of synthetics and for only looking to purchase "live" selections for flying.    I've personally have considered this before and still do think about it.  I guess if I think about what I might have actually created for flies, say after the last two weeks, last year I only lost one fly and probably only one or two flies in the previous year.  For the few that they may have damaged or broken I through out with the trash.   

My decision on almost everything we send through our home makes me think about these on a daily basis.  Every Tuesday we take the trash dump along next to the recycle bucket as well.   Makes me ill to watch what the grocery sends each week.   As much as we can collects without plastic weeks we do.   Our local town break up grabage from recycle where many other local companies just dump them all in the same town dump.   We do our best when eating outside once a week to only purchase from takout with paper we look for and not plastic takeout.  We've required our local towns to stop groceries that use plastic and only use paper.   Local coffee shows, etc.  here only allow the use of paper coffee shops and no styrofoam.  No plastic straws at shops either.    What they give me for my lifes worth of files doesn't even come close to all the damn clear plastic strawberry and blueberries I see once a week.     Okay, got that off my chest....

HT

Oh not quite yet, by the way,    Before I knew better I have a number of fly feather saddles purchased a few years back.  More than likely I'll probably not purchase them any longer seeing that the rooster saddles UPC contacted Whiting Farms president Thomas Whiting to clarify his claim that his company “painlessly euthanizes the chickens so there is no distress nor blood.” He replied: “We use carbon dioxide gas to euthanize all our birds.”  Death by carbon dioxide is NOT euthanasia. It’s a terrible, cruel death, and as animal scientist Mohan Raj explains, “Birds and other animals completely avoid, hesitate to enter, or rapidly evacuate from an atmosphere containing high concentrations of carbon dioxide.”    Carbon dioxide (CO2) activates brain regions in birds and mammals that are involved with the perception of pain. CO2 causes panic in response to the sensation of suffocation and breathlessness, or dyspnea, that occurs when the amount of atmospheric CO2 exceeds 30 percent. Inhalation of carbon dioxide is both painful and distressing because birds, like humans, have chemical receptors (intrapulmonary chemoreceptors) that are acutely sensitive to carbon dioxide.  By me not a reasonable rooster to kill without blood just so we can give people $60 to $90 a saddle and then just grind up the roosters like that.

Damn, had no idea about the CO2.  I am ok with taking an animals life, but I would prefer it to be quick and as painless as possible.  Chicken inverted in a killing cone goes pretty quietly, but CO2 sounds brutal.

Well, I guess it's knitting for me now. . . at least the sheep get to live after a bit of humiliation.

14 hours ago, Oakman said:

I deal with this issue with my own little neoliberal offset credit system. I pick up plastic trash whenever I'm fishing, and it offsets any plastic I put into the ocean through snagged flies, clipped knots etc. In a single outing I frequently pick up way more plastic than I would put in the ocean in many years, so I have a lot of credit going lol. 

I would like to know how kanekalon compares with slinky fiber, which I like. I get slinky fiber relatively cheap in the back of bear's den, but I wouldn't mind something even cheaper. Mostly use it for kinky muddler style heads.

Sngl,

I have some newer material that I like better and I am even thinking about selling these around.   It doesn't get as frizzy and mangled like some types.    I can send you some samples from two colors if you want to give me a trial.    I have 2 types of yellow, 1 of dark pink, 1 of gray, 1 of black, 1 of olive green, and of course white.    If interested PM me at mail and I'll send them to you.  Interest in what you think.

HT

Edited by HillTop