Evil-Bay

Visser or VR reel?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Both of these reels are similar in price but how are they compared when it comes to toughness and quality?

I'm looking at the VR200 and no.7 visser for a 10'6" carbon surf rod.

Edited by Evil-Bay

2 hours ago, Evil-Bay said:

Both of these reels are similar in price but how are they compared when it comes to toughness and quality?

I'm looking at the VR200 and no.7 visser for a 10'6" carbon surf rod.

I have both a visser No. 5 and a vr201. I have no idea which I would choose.  

piece by piece the visser seems to be tougher, parts are thicker etc… quality, well thats a different story alltogether, my visser has had alot of problems. It was replaced with a  gen 2 visser, then i had more problems. After getting the gen2 visser functional, it’s better then my vr201. 

now it took me a very long time, a VERY long time to get my visser functional. It shouldn’t be anywhere near of an issue for someone now as it was for me.

if you can get your hands on a functional gen2 visser. I’d buy that over a vr 200.

My vr201 sqeaks a little when it gets wet, my line lay was perfect straight outta the box and was very plug and play. No issues so far.

(this shouldn’t be the case for people now… I hope) my visser gen 1 needed to be replaced, that took nearly a year (during covid) after receiving the gen 2 replacment my spool was bottoming out on the reel (it’s been addressed before they hit the market, i contacted robert about it in time) so i had to use my gen 1 spool on my gen 2 body and now I have a functional gen2 visser.

my functional gen2 visser is superior to the vr201. But The only thing I had to do with my vr201 was take it out of the box and put it on my rod

I'd go with the vr. I have nothing to bad to say about my gen. 2 vr's. Great line lay is definitely a positive comment.

Ten years from now they will still be making vr's. I highly doubt vissser's will still be on the market. 

Is the Gen2 Visser out in the wild yet? The few shops that have them locally are stilling selling the originals with a low serial #.   

Whatever you end up with though make sure it's the new VR or new Visser (if those are out). I had a new VR150B I sold because I just didn't need it, but it felt solid with the new Shaft, etc. My 2 Vissers both had problems like stated above but they are pleasant to fish. Resale value is terrible however I tried selling one gone over, mint condition, no one would touch it. 

Edited by jk20a3

2 hours ago, BG_NJ said:

If you're not gonna go VS then there's no reason not to just get a Daiwa BG

Kinda agree with you but for the Saragosa.

13 hours ago, BG_NJ said:

Spheros if you don't mind the slower retrieve

'21 spheros has same retrieve rates as the '20 gosa. They are literally exactly the same, except the spheros uses bushings for the line roller. 

Just now, RedGreen said:

'21 spheros has same retrieve rates as the '20 gosa. They are literally exactly the same, except the spheros uses bushings for the line roller. 

I mean the previous Gen Spheros that’s basically a Gosa minus 10 inches on the retrieve and 1 bearing for $100 less..

Don’t know much about the new one.