OnlyChunk

2021 Northeast Season Review

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Mine was fantastic. Best year I had since 2017. Amazing spring run. Had a full week of 20lb class fish and they stuck around for over a month after. Hard to work a little for them after that week but there were plenty to go around. No shortage of slots all year for me. August and September was really fun wen you found blitzes. My best season for fall togs. Limited out every trip. Had a few days of multiple limits. Fall run was a little slow cuz I slowed down for hunting but when igot out I got into some good fish. Highlight was the 40lb class fish I got on topwater at one of my favorite places. Couldn’t stay that day and the blitz in the distance came close enough for my buddy that day and he slayed 30-40lb class fish for 3 hours. Salty lol overall I’m very happy with how my season turned out. Key to my success for just putting in the work to find fish and following fishing reports from OTW and FM. 

-Surf/Open Beach/Jetty: Terrible. Thankfully blues came out early. Not one Albie for me from shore. 

-Boat/Nearshore/Inshore: Not bad, but not my style in terms of bass fishing. Fluke lots of action but mostly shorts. Seabass had to be right on the wrecks, not very good northshore.

-Backbays: Most of my action was here all season. Schoolie size to slot, sometimes a little over. Oddly missing the plentiful tiny guys that I usually get into. Northshore was better here. 

All in all I didn’t put in my usual time this season due to personal issues but it still wasn’t a good season in terms of Surf fishing for me unfortunately. Of course this is my own personal experience. 

Overall, bigger fish for me this year, but much more inconsistent than prior years. Felt like fish were there one night and gone the next. Patterns / bites changed frequently and it was more difficult to key into patterns. The patterns I really keyed into were in the summer months and not the spring / fall. 

Didn't get to the surf a much as i had hopped. Caught a couple rats. Spent allot of time in the trout stream getting my fix. I Hope I get into the salt more next year. 

Inshore South Shore Long Island (boiat):  Best weakfish in years, although not as good as the fishing in years past with respect to either size or numbers.  Fluke disappointing.  Bluefish remain generally poor,  Inshore sharks provide good action; fewer threshers than a couple of years ago, but enough to keep things interesting, and also some spinners, although a lot of protected species, too.  Ridiculously good late summer run of 200+-class bluefin in 40-90 feet of water off the Rockaways.  Bass had their moments, with a few big fish around, although it was spotty, with a lot of dead time bracketing the better action.  Sea bass on the wrecks, with a few more larger fish during the summer than in the past couple of years.  False albacore generally slow, although there were fish farther offshore.

Western Long Island Sound (boat):  Reasonably decent spring, with smaller fish--mostly 2015, 2017, and 2018 year classes.  Best summer action in years, with a solid first-light pencil popper bite that lasted for most of August and September.  Again, small fish, mostly 2015s with some 2011s mixed in.  Slower fall, with a pickly November.  A few more bluefish than the last couple of years, with some weakfish showing up, too.  Slow fluke, decent sea bass at the beginning of the season, but the bigger sea bass got wiped out quickly.  

Had my best year yet in the surf. Pushed through a terrible spring bite, and moved to south county RI early in hopes of finding more fish. Found none... but caught slots June-July and some fish to 20lbs. Entertained some new goals for this year by fishing more off the rocks, using the wetsuit to swim out to rocks, and gained some valuable experience fishing in a few summer storms. 

The fall was epic for me. 8 30# class fish. 4 tying PB weight. Countless fish between 18-30lbs. One night I counted 15 fish over 20lbs. Several over 25lbs. Fished new lures to great success mainly needles and bullet needles. Wonderful fall run in RI this year. Would’ve had to been sleeping to miss it. Day time bite for my buddies was great at times as well. Caught some monster blues in the summer as well. Up to 19lbs on darters on a full moon. 

It was a good bass year for big fish. Plenty at times from 39"-49". The 28-38" class is lacking in my opinion.  There were a few issues but not with the bass. In my local one seal wreaked havoc. That bastard alone must have got 12-15 over 30lbs from me. I would bring others out and they suffered the same fate. Once his head popped up and you were alone?  The chances of you getting whacked was 100 percent.  Its almost like he ate the guts or he was stashing bodies because he would be right back quick. If there was more than one angler and other boats you could stay. The misery would be shared. Which brings me to problem number 2. Poachers and too many other anglers. Number 3, the bass are huddling together. Which makes the future breeding stock at risk. If they are all together in my area it has to be happening in other areas too. There is no hiding of the bass when boats and kayak use side imaging. 

Certain areas which use to hold bass are now void. Which makes it a pain on the ass if you are looking for other spots.  Just trying to make the best out of whata left. If spot a-b-c is overcrowded, seal...you are **** out of luck. Time to cover more water, get away from seals and the crowds. Tough to do when you fished the same 5 mile radius for years. 

Edited by The Riddler

NJ pretty lousy.  Caught some nice sized blues and only a few small bass in the spring.  Just can't get out enough with to many other responsibilities.  Lost my Dad in July.  Now I really have to much on on shoulders.  Have less time now to get out.  Took a week vacation in October and one in November.  With all the fish being caught here over the past few weeks I only caught only a couple small bass.  I suppose if you are lucky enough to go every day and or go when ever you want it seemed like a great fall. Maybe next year I guess...

This was certainly my worse year.  There were some big blues to be had in the Spring but that was it.  For Striped Bass, catching 2 slot fish in one night was the highlight of my Fall Run.  The bay spot that used to produce for me a number of years ago was void of life.  Absolutely horrible.