BrianBM

One for the Rocket Scientists

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

We do actually have a few people, like Charloots, who were in related fields.

Hitting an asteroid with a fast projectile, to change its' course, may make sense if the asteroid is one big boulder, and not a loose accretion of junk. If it's the latter, it might splatter. Are all asteroids nice solid things? I thought that some are like comets, just loose aggregations of stuff.

If you have to move a loose pile, light pressure from a nuke seems a lot more plausible.

Just now, BrianBM said:

If you have to move a loose pile, light pressure from a nuke seems a lot more plausible.

A nuke and light pressure are not synonymous.

22 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

A little teeny nuke maybe? Like a pack of Marlboros size? 

Didnt we try this years ago. The whole world cheered for bruce willis and aerosmith sang a song. It sucked. 

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

We do actually have a few people, like Charloots, who were in related fields.

Hitting an asteroid with a fast projectile, to change its' course, may make sense if the asteroid is one big boulder, and not a loose accretion of junk. If it's the latter, it might splatter. Are all asteroids nice solid things? I thought that some are like comets, just loose aggregations of stuff.

They range from solid nickle iron to material that is charcoal like and every thing in between.

I prepared specimens for about 10 years of the fragments that made it to earth as meteorites.

1 hour ago, Gotcow? said:

No, but a nuke is the only thing that we could conceivably launch that would exert enough light pressure over a broad area, almost half the circumference of an asteroid (my understanding is that most are not particularly spherical) to move a loose agglomeration, as a while, away from Earth collision.

40 mins ago, Gatr522 said:

They range from solid nickle iron to material that is charcoal like and every thing in between.

I prepared specimens for about 10 years of the fragments that made it to earth as meteorites.

I knew we had some people in this area ... what's your take on the DART mission?

54 mins ago, i07nyc said:

Didnt we try this years ago. The whole world cheered for bruce willis and aerosmith sang a song. It sucked. 

A movie is a bit short of hard science.  Ya think? It wasn't even good as science fiction.

Go to the AM 970 the Answer Podcast for Joe Piscopo from this morning.  He had on Dr. Tom Jones who is also a former Astronaut.  He explained the whole theory behind it and discussed other alternatives including Nukes.  The idea behind it is that if you can hit it far enough out you may only knock it inches off course but because the trajectory is changed it will bypass earth.

If I remember right this rocket will hit it at 186,000 MPH.

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

No, but a nuke is the only thing that we could conceivably launch that would exert enough light pressure over a broad area, almost half the circumference of an asteroid (my understanding is that most are not particularly spherical) to move a loose agglomeration, as a while, away from Earth collision.

I knew we had some people in this area ... what's your take on the DART mission?

Preliminary experiment for some hard data to gauge potential outcomes. Answer questions like yours.

The physics in the vacuum of space -lack of gravity- reaction/opposite reaction require some actual testing.

That crater in AZ was created from an 80-100' rock. There is a real threat- perhaps even existential -so I am glad that they are tracking the NEA's and performing the DART experiments.   

4 mins ago, Gatr522 said:

Preliminary experiment for some hard data to gauge potential outcomes. Answer questions like yours.

The physics in the vacuum of space -lack of gravity- reaction/opposite reaction require some actual testing.

That crater in AZ was created from an 80-100' rock. There is a real threat- perhaps even existential -so I am glad that they are tracking the NEA's and performing the DART experiments.   

It's scary how overdue we are for an Asteroid hit to. Asteroids and Calderas......OH MY. 

6 hours ago, i07nyc said:

Yeah but Liv Tyler was a smoke show!!

download (18).jpeg