typicalsurfcaster

GSB or SUPER SURF 2G PRO

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Good afternoon yall,

I am trying to choose between between the supersurf 2g pro and GSB. The rods are both 10 foot, one piece  and rated 2-5. I want a rod that I can use off jetty's and inlets that can take a beating, turn a big fish in the current and is good for bucktails, tins and big plugs. Am I better off with the faster action Super surf or the moderate fast GSB. What are your guys experiences with these rods?

Alas, this is more a matter of taste than anything else.

There are recent threads (might still be on the first page of this Forum) pertaining to rods for really, really heavy plugs (4-8 oz.)  A very few guys use them. In more conventional plug chucking, opinions are varied.  That's the Internet norm.

IMHO I prefer a moderate action.  Of the rods you name, I own and fish only an older 120-1M.  I like it. YMMV.

13 mins ago, BrianBM said:

IMHO I prefer a moderate action.  Of the rods you name, I own and fish only an older 120-1M.  I like it. YMMV.

What's the sweet spot on that rod? 1-3?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am a fan of the gsb lineup, mostly because they are fish fighting machines and they can take a lot of abuse. Between the 1201m and 1321m i would choose the 1321m, as I feel it will load lighter weights easier.  I own both but have 3 1321m.  two modern and one modern oldschool.

It is hard to say what the lure range is.... both will work effectively enough for me in the 1-5 range but like i said the 13 loads the lighter easier.  the 12 might me more of a 2-4.

In terms of casting and feedback, there are plenty of better rods, but when fighting fish these gsb blanks do more work for you, and I feel that the moderate nature absorbs their surges and keeos them leashed better than a fast action blank.

Edited by puppet

11 hours ago, changed said:

What's the sweet spot on that rod? 1-3?

I would call my rod, 20 years old, a 2-3.5 oz rod.  Mine is a conventional, custom,  by Al Goldberg.

I own and built several original GSB's 1081L, 1201L, 1201M, 1321M, 136MH,  SS101MHS Super Surf original and the new 10 foot SuperSurf 2g pro.  All these rods have served me well.  I finally gave away my 1321M due to a wrist injury 6 years ago and I felt that the rod was getting too much to swing any more.  All my 10 foot rods can horse in a 30+ pounds class fish with ease.  Getting the fish in is more technique than the rod itself.  The old Super Surfs series was a little stiff where the newer SuperSurf gen 2 are a bit nicer to cast.  My go to rod has always been my 1201M GSB.

Steve K

6 mins ago, Tiderunner2 said:

I own and built several original GSB's 1081L, 1201L, 1201M, 1321M, 136MH,  SS101MHS Super Surf original and the new 10 foot SuperSurf 2g pro.  All these rods have served me well.  I finally gave away my 1321M due to a wrist injury 6 years ago and I felt that the rod was getting too much to swing any more.  All my 10 foot rods can horse in a 30+ pounds class fish with ease.  Getting the fish in is more technique than the rod itself.  The old Super Surfs series was a little stiff where the newer SuperSurf gen 2 are a bit nicer to cast.  My go to rod has always been my 1201M GSB.

Steve K

Yes.

Looks like the GSB is the better choice in this situation. But from what I understand both have enough backbone for big fish but the moderate action of the GSB looks like the better choice. I have a GSB 1081L that's custom built but when I was hooking into fish over 12 pounds off the jetty I had trouble turning them in the current  and that could be a problem when there are a bunch of people fishing in close proximity to you.