giant basshole

Heated socks or insoles

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Facing another winter working outside and I am hoping to make it a little more comfortable. Tired of the toe warmer packs that bunch up under your toes. I was hoping for some feedback on socks or insoles guys have tried and how they preform. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

43 mins ago, giant basshole said:

Facing another winter working outside and I am hoping to make it a little more comfortable. Tired of the toe warmer packs that bunch up under your toes. I was hoping for some feedback on socks or insoles guys have tried and how they preform. 

Unfortunately, I've been pegged to working outside through tough months in years past.  I would carry 4 or so pairs of dry wool and synthetic socks in the truck daily and change them out as needed through the day. I agree the chem packs are not optimal.  I don't know about any insole option. 

Ohh and boots: forget about all the thick fancy insulated types.  They get wet and you can't change out the insulation.  Buy basic boots and wear socks.

Edited by chisler

44 mins ago, chocodove said:

Have you tried vapor barrier liner socks? I play outside on mountains in extremely cold weather and they work very well. 

I will look into some thanks.

28 mins ago, giant basshole said:

I will look into some thanks.

Those and a thick legit merino wool mountaineering sock (Smartwool) are likely the best combo you are going going to find. 

I work outside on and off every winter.

The most important thing is to dry your boots completely every night IMO.

I use one of these things, sold under different names, They plug in and work great.

Then quality wool work socks and your good to go.

I wear insulated Redwing work boots year round.

Crap, pic won't load, google PEET boot dryer.

PEETOriginalDryer-main_720x.webp

Edited by Plug and teaser

1 hour ago, giant basshole said:

If sweat is the issue, try a quality antiperspirant on your feet. 
No sweat, no wet, no cold.

The heater insole are not good. They provide heat, but your heal is on a battery pack all day. Terrible if you are not sitting in a deer stand. 

x2 on the boot dryer

2 hours ago, Drumfish420 said:

Circulation trumps insulation, just keep that in mind. 

Learned that a long time ago from an Amish deer hunter.  Soon as you get to your stand change socks and LOOSEN UP YOUR LACES.  What a difference!!!

Yup, tight boots have no insulating air space and cut off circulation.  I tend to buy winter boots a half to full size bigger than street shoes.

A powdered/ corn starched thin sock under your regular sock, but you need toe wiggle room. If it’s fridgid, add a newspaper bag or dog poo bag between the two sox. In the 70s when only those crappy 9v hunting sox existed, a light sock dusting of cayenne powder did the trick.

Edited by cheech

Back in the good ol days when I had to sit in a plow truck for as many as 57 hours none stop I had extra wool socks on a chest ban so i could change and back then the stupid little heater was a joke.

Oh an the front end loader (without)a cab was just a joy!